Logo

Timing Chain Replaced - Low Oil Pressure

alhenderson00

I just completed installing a new timing chain, and new cam and crank sprockets. Motor fired right up and seems to run strong (in my driveway), However, the oil pressure seems to have dropped from 30-40 pounds to about 15-20 at comparable rpms. In addition, I seem to be getting a little smoke out of the exhaust on my stern drive.

So, my question is, what did I screw up?

Drain oil, refill with new, but include a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. Run engine for about an hour and recheck. If this clears up the problem, great. If not, the engine must come out and have the pump/pickup inspected. Possibly you got some crud loosened up or a piece of gasket or other junk is clogging the pick up tube.

I had put new oil in when I reinstalled the new timing cover and such. Looking at it via the dip stick it looks like it went staight to the oil pan after filling, no discoloration whatsoever to make it look like it circulated in the motor.
I did have the pickup tube off when I pulled the pan. i had cleaned it well in solvent prior to reinstall. I will try adding a quart of Mystery oil, but it seems like things are pointing to a oil pump issue.

Back