Logo

Timing chain or gears?

Roadie

Hi, I have a 1982 Renken 19ft with merc 120 4 cyl sn on motor 6155985, model MCM 120 153 cid
I would like to know if it has timing chain or is it 2 gears meshed, boat was running fine then stalled out and would not restart,called friend he put his boat in and pulled us back to dock. since then I got new circuit breaker, rebuilt carb, put electric fuel pump, new points cap wires plugs cond, new coil. it sometimes tries to start, has 135 pounds comp in all 4 cyls, so I want to check timing chain or gears are bad.
Thank you

the 4 cylinder is a gear driven system, highly doubtful you jumped time because the comp readings look good.
Do you have good spark, good timing, clean fuel?

the 4 cylinder is a gear driven system, highly doubtful you jumped time because the comp readings look good.
Do you have good spark, good timing, clean fuel?
Yes i have good spark, I pumped some of the gas out into jar when I replaced fuel pump and let it sit about 15 mins looked ok, have not drained any fuel out of water separator. I wonder about fuel because we got gas right before we went out and got from place i never go,But i tried starting fluid and did not try to start either, So i'm at a loss. boat has always ran fine?

Last edited:
Does your rotor turn when it cranks? If so then I doubt there's a gear problem. Put a timing light on it to see where your timings at, in the Dizzy, & At the Crank T.D.C. (top dead center for #1)

Take note: when the Crank is on TDC for #1, it could be on the exhaust stroke, or intake stroke? You must check for compression First, with your finger. If so, move your rotor to #1 on the cap. IF NOT, you must crank the engine over one turn to the compression stroke, and do all this over.

i have tried moving timing while try to start but did not help, so i do know timing is not right, but with out it running did not know how to adjust it.
the rotor does turn

Does your rotor turn when it cranks? If so then I doubt there's a gear problem. Put a timing light on it to see where your timings at, in the Dizzy, & At the Crank T.D.C. (top dead center for #1)

Take note: when the Crank is on TDC for #1, it could be on the exhaust stroke, or intake stroke? You must check for compression First, with your finger. If so, move your rotor to #1 on the cap. IF NOT, you must crank the engine over one turn to the compression stroke, and do all this over.
Ok Thank you I will try that in the am

Hi everyone,
ok today i did not get done as much as i would have liked.
got timing back close to where it should be, checked the pos side of coil with key on 11 volts, when tried to start it dropped only because i need to charge batt back up. also tried the screwdriver to block on 1 of the cyls to see if spark would jump 5/8 of a gap, now know spark jump. so i will charge batt back up and check out this no spark

The more i think about this boat, when trying to start and i put my hand over carb I do not feel vacum, could it be i have a intake manifold leak? and that is why i can not get it to run? even with starting fluid? I charged up batt and getting spark now

Back