Logo

Timing advance spec for 1995 Evinrude Vindicator 200 hp Model E200CXEOC

Dam13n

Contributing Member
All,

I am experiencing a bog at take off and have tried a lot of things to get rid of it. I have replaced the power pack, the ignition coils, the spark plugs, rebuilt the carburetors and cleaned them twice. The bog still haunts me. I just recent ran across the Joe timing method and would like to give this a try. I checked my current full throttle advance spark and it was 23 degrees BTDC. Not sure if this was too high as i don’t know the spec and can’t find the correct OMC manual. Would any of you know the spec and could share it with me? 1995 Evinrude Vindicator E200CXEOC.

Thanks in advance

I called myself doing a link and sync on the carbs and wanted to know what the idle timing and advanced (WOT) timing is supposed to be. Can you please let me know the degrees for this motor

Can anyone please let me know what the OEM spec is for idle timing and max Advanced Timing for Evinrude Vindicator 200 up model E200CXEOC?

Thank you so much for confirming the timing degrees. Idle screws were set at 6 turns out from seated. Did find two of them set at 5 turns out. I changed all of them to 7 turn out.

Ok, So when adjusting the WOT timing to 18 degrees, I was only able to get it to 19 degrees. The stop screw is almost screwed all the way in. Does this seem right?

Whit/black wire disconnected at power pack and grounded to engine block. All plugs are out. Spark tester set at 7/16” gap on number1 cylinder and grounded to engine block. Timing light connected over number 1 cylinder wire.

i get good spark on the tester. To get to 18 degrees the stop is screwed almost all the way in. To verify tdc I used a pin and touched off on the piston an inch away from Atdc the rotated the flywheel all the way around until it touched off on the pin on the BTDC side. Divided those by 2 and the TDC mark on the flywheel matched with the bracket.

Last edited:
Sorry for such long post but I want clarity on my understanding of Joe Reeves WOT Advanced Timing Procedure. Interpretations are provided by me. Please correct me where I am wrong.

NOTE: If your engine has the "Fast Start" feature", you must disconnect/eliminate that feature in order to use the following method. The "Fast Start" automatically advances the spark electronically when the engine first starts, dropping it to normal when the engine reaches a certain temperature.
Interpretation: Disconnect the Quick Start Feature by disconnecting the white/black wire from the power pack and engine head and ground the wire coming from the power pack to the engine block or a negative terminal.

The full spark advance can be adjusted without have the engine running at near full throttle as follows.

To set the timing on that engine, have the s/plugs out, and have the throttle at full, set that timer base under the flywheel tight against the rubber stop on the end of the full spark timer advance stop screw (wire it against that stop if necessary). Rig a spark tester and have the gap set to 7/16". Hook up the timing light to the #1 plug wire. Crank the engine over and set the spark advance to 4 less than what the engine calls for.
Interpretation: Remove all spark plugs from the engine and ground spark plug leads 2,3,4,5,6 to the engine block or a negative terminal. Install a gap tester to the number 1 cylinder spark plug lead and ground it to the engine block. The gap tester has to be set at 7/16” gap. Disconnect the hot foot throttle linkage on side of the motor. This will make advancing the linkage to full throttle easier if working alone. Check and be sure that the timer base armature is against the rubber stop when the throttle linkage is fully advanced. (Where should the rubber stop be adjusted to for initial setting. Mine was about halfway to begin with). Now install a timing light. Put the spark reader over the number 1 cylinder spark plug lead with the arrow facing toward the spark plug rubber boot. Connect the negative and positive lead to the cranking battery for power source to the timing light. (optional, install a remote starter switch if working alone). *KEY NOTE: Make sure the kill switch lanyard is connected. Now that the throttle linkage is at full advance and the timer base armature is against the rubber stop, Crank the engine over and aim timing light at the bracket pointer and flywheel. You should only see light flash at a certain repeated degree on the flywheel. The degree you are seeing is currently where the Full Throttle Advance timing is set. (In my case, I was seeing 23 degrees BTDC at full throttle advance). Now adjust the timer base by either advancing or retarding it to the specified degree for your engine. (In my case, target is 18 degrees). But, to the Joe Reeves method I need to target 4 degrees less than spec (which In my case is 14 Degrees). This is to account for the engine not being under load and “due to the nature of the solid state ignition components the engine will gain the extra 4 degrees.” Joe R.

I don't know the full spark advance setting your engine calls for, but to pick a figure, say your engine calls for 28, set the timing at 24. The reasoning for the 4 difference is that when the engine is actually running, due to the nature of the solid state ignition components, the engine gains the extra 4. If you set the engine to its true setting at cranking speed, when running it will advance beyond its limit by 4 which will set up pre-ignition causing guaranteed piston damage! You don't want that to take place.
Interpretation: Buy the correct service manual for your engine to obtain the correct timing specs. Very important to set the advanced timing less 4 degrees difference.

No need to be concerned about the idle timing as that will take care of itself. The main concern is the full advance setting.
Interpretation: I am not sure how idle timing will take care of itself. I will verify this when idling on the lake.

Be sure to use your own engines spark advance settings, not the one I picked out of the air here in my notes.
Interpretation: Again, Please resort to the advance setting specifically for your engine. Not the ones mentioned in this passage.

Back