Logo

Timing 2 strokes after main rebilt

coteno

Hello
I watched this winter many outboard rebuilt on Youtube.
I now know in ''théorie'' how to change pistons. rings and seals. remove a flywheel, points, condenser. magneto...

BUT those friendly youtuber re-assemble the parts in the crankcase with the precious torq specs and mount the flywheel over it without seemingly regard for were the #1 piston is on top dead center.

They seems to rely only on the key that stabilize the flywheel to assure a normal timing....

What did I mist?????

Thank for your explanation

Normand (Québec)

You did not miss anything.-----The flywheel key controls the timing on motors equipped with the wonderful universal magneto.-----And on many motors with electronic ignition the timing is also " fixed at the factory " and would not go out of adjustment on an overhaul.

Right. What COULD fall out of adjustment would be carburator synchronisation as well as throttle advance at correct point with timing advance. Not sure what your watching, but multiple carbs ALWAYS need to be synchronized after removal. Why?.....because the chance that they line up exactly upon install is pretty unlikely. Have you noticed how much you can shift around a carb just before you tighten the mounting bolts/screws? If one carb is running with more or less throttle opening for extended times at an idle, that corresponding piston will be dragged by the other piston/pistons, and could be damaged from improper mixture.......which in a 2 stroke motor means OIL.

Norm.....WOW! You only have 14 posts in 10 years?

Last edited:
Back