Logo

timer base sync/question

Actually the primer is an improvement over the original choke flappers.-----Any more pictures of the motor including powerhead and shift linkages?----Perhaps a newer powerhead was installed !!----That might also explain the " missing " plugs on front of carburetors.----At this time there is a need to establish what you really have here.----Here I go being a detective / forensic fixer again.

I appreciate your help. I will upload some pics of what I'm working on asap.

I am going to be blunt here.---------There are newer powerheads that could be installed on your motor !!----Post the pictures as requested so you get the help.----We do not know what you have at this time. !!

20190625_162143-2.jpg20190625_162153-2.jpghere i have temp blocked the flow of fuel with a solid cork gasket due to the amount of fuel dumping behind the butterfly valves.
20190625_162203-2.jpglinkage setup...
20190625_162252_HDR-2.jpgfuel line from primer solenoid
20190625_162348-2.jpg

I am going to be blunt here.---------There are newer powerheads that could be installed on your motor !!----Post the pictures as requested so you get the help.----We do not know what you have at this time. !!

If there are any other pics that could help, please let me know.

There you have it.----The carburetors do not appear to be original to a 73 model 65 HP.------So all bets are off until YOU determine what they are off.-----The shift linkage indicates to me that it is a 73 model.--The paint color and CD box indicate 1973 model.--------What information can you post off the 3 tags on the carburetors ???

Last edited:
There you have it.----The carburetors do not appear to be original to a 73 model 65 HP.------So all bets are off until YOU determine what they are off.-----The shift linkage indicates to me that it is a 73 model.--The paint color and CD box indicate 1973 model.--------What information can you post off the 3 tags on the carburetors ???

The top carb has a tag = 395578A MX 7AK
middle and bottom read = 395579A MX 7 AK

If we were there we could figure it out FAST. I think that there has been major work done on this. Did you find a soft plug on this powerhead with ID on it? This IS NOT A 1973! The # on top and bottom carb should be 385892, middle 385893. The motor couldn't even be close to running right with out those jet chamber cap screws. NO vacuum could be created in these chambers to direct fuel at low speed.

Last edited:
If we were there we could figure it out FAST. I think that there has been major work done on this. Did you find a soft plug on this powerhead with ID on it? This IS NOT A 1973! The # on top and bottom carb should be 385892, middle 385893. The motor couldn't even be close to running right with out those jet chamber cap screws. NO vacuum could be created in these chambers to direct fuel at low speed.

Ive not been able to find any other markings. Can you maybe point me in the right spot to look. Would flywheel have numbers that would make a difference?

The only engines that the 395578-->396965-->398310 (Carbs on this 1973?? engine) carburetors fit (are designed for) are the 1985 65hp and the 70hp Evinrude/Johnson models according to my books.

Yes, those are idle air bleed jets.

The only engines that the 395578-->396965-->398310 (Carbs on this 1973?? engine) carburetors fit (are designed for) are the 1985 65hp and the 70hp Evinrude/Johnson models according to my books.

Yes, those are idle air bleed jets.

Looking at part diagrams for the 85' 65hp, the thermostat housing matches and the carbs match. I think im closer now. Much appreciate the guidance!

Your top carb should really be in the middle. Book shows 395578 as the middle......correct? As Joe suggests, these jets are not capped because they manage air......a different idea here.

Last edited:
Your top carb should really be in the middle. Book shows 395578 as the middle......correct? As Joe suggests, these jets are not capped because they manage air......a different idea here.

Correct Tim.... The book states:

There are two 395579 carbs (No Roller), "upper & lower" carburetors

There is one 395578 carb (w/roller) that is the center carburetor.

Correct Tim.... The book states:

There are two 395579 carbs (No Roller), "upper & lower" carburetors

There is one 395578 carb (w/roller) that is the center carburetor.

Before i pull the carbs to move them to the correct position and sync again, is there any way to pull them apart so i can correctly identify them with a tag...i'm not sure the tags are on the right carb after all i'm finding with trying to identify this motor and correct setup.

Sure, the tags are removable.....got mixed up. Roller on center carb as Joe states. Other than that I am pretty sure that they should all have the same main jet (57D)......ooh, thats a BIG GIRL......and a #28 air jet on top.

Last edited:
Sure, the tags are removable.....got mixed up. Roller on center carb as Joe states. Other than that I am pretty sure that they should all have the same main jet (57D)......ooh, thats a BIG GIRL......and a #28 air jet on top.

That looks right, according to the carb diagrams, but you know it never hurts to ask for certainty...after all I thought I was dealing with a 73' 65hp. So I leave the upper jets open and no need to move any carbs since the only difference is a tag is out of place. But a tag being out of place makes me question attention to detail so I had to ask. Thank you for your answers!

One last question, circling all the way back to the trigger base I installed which perfectly matched the old one i replaced... So I have an 1985, 65 or 70hp power head with the ignition system of a 1973 65hp: coils, power pack, stater, timing trigger base, rectifier. Is anyone aware of any issues with a setup like this as long as the system is charging and firing the plugs?

Jammy.... The ignition system is called a "Magneto Capacitance Discharge" system, first introduced in various 2 & 3 cylinder engines in 1972 I believe... BUT... really took off in 1973, being used (if I remember correctly... not that it matters) in all the higher horsepower models, the highest of which at that time was the 135hp model..

At that time, I mentioned to one of the higher up OMC reps "I believe that ignition system is the ultimate!"... and apparently I was right as here we are 46 years later and are still using the same ignition system. The design of some of the components may have changed in their appearance,,, BUT... it is still the "Magneto Capacitance Discharge" ignition system.

Bottom line.... whatever year those ignition components were manufactured is of no consequence... it's a up to date ignition system.

Some engines are a product similar to a song by Johnny Cash about a fellow working in a GMC Cadillac producing factory who took parts home daily in his lunch box for years on end... and finally he got the parts all assembled into one Cadillac automobile. Registering it must have been a real hassle as Johnny sang it as a 1948, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64... and where it ended I've forgotten! BUT it was a mighty fine Cadillac I'm sure.

Jammy.... The ignition system is called a "Magneto Capacitance Discharge" system, first introduced in various 2 & 3 cylinder engines in 1972 I believe... BUT... really took off in 1973, being used (if I remember correctly... not that it matters) in all the higher horsepower models, the highest of which at that time was the 135hp model..

At that time, I mentioned to one of the higher up OMC reps "I believe that ignition system is the ultimate!"... and apparently I was right as here we are 46 years later and are still using the same ignition system. The design of some of the components may have changed in their appearance,,, BUT... it is still the "Magneto Capacitance Discharge" ignition system.

Bottom line.... whatever year those ignition components were manufactured is of no consequence... it's a up to date ignition system.

Some engines are a product similar to a song by Johnny Cash about a fellow working in a GMC Cadillac producing factory who took parts home daily in his lunch box for years on end... and finally he got the parts all assembled into one Cadillac automobile. Registering it must have been a real hassle as Johnny sang it as a 1948, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64... and where it ended I've forgotten! BUT it was a mighty fine Cadillac I'm sure.

I'm finding that out... ;)

The shift linkages on your block tell me it is a 73 model block !!!

I had to pull up pics of my motor and go through part diagrams from different years and models, matching up things, and you may be right. It looks like a 73' 65hp with carbs, fuel pump and primer from the 85' era 65hp. At least now I know the upper jets do not get plugged. Will let you guys know how it all works out when the new primer and fuel pump come in. All the help has been greatly appreciated.

Well it might ne a 74 block too.------Pretty simple stuff for me.-----Serial # on the block is the same as on the tag on the transom bracket ?

Well it might ne a 74 block too.------Pretty simple stuff for me.-----Serial # on the block is the same as on the tag on the transom bracket ?

I finally found the "soft plug" with the # on it and it does read 65ESL73R / J3854885, same as transom bracket.

Sounds like some of my personal transportation. "With a little bit of help from an adapter kit we had that engine running just like a song".

Met Johnny and Tommy Cash both, as well as Bobby Wootten, guitarist who replaced Luther. My brother had country music stations......built 'em from scratch, brought those boys up to "nordern minisoda" to make some music. All of them really cool dudes, all dead now.

Last edited:
I finally got the new fuel primer in and new fuel pump...spent a lot of time playing with carb sync and throttle cable linkage but she pulled outta the hole today and ran a very solid 25mph at wot. She seems to take a long time to warm up and its high 90's here in FL.

Last edited:
Back