Logo

Timer base/ Power pack

nicknack2

Regular Contributor
Couple of months ago I replaced the timer base on my 1991 200HP johnson to fix a no spark issues... motor runs fine, but I read some where in the net that is best to replace the powerpack also when replacing the timer base as a faulty power pack can/will damage the new timer base.. does any of this makes any sence? should I also put a new pack in before I burn my timer base?

I'm worried because this is the second timer base I installed in 3 years, the first one was a used one that I got handed down to me, the odd thing was that I was away out of town for work for about 5 months and the boat sat for those months, when I came back I did not have spark, the tech wanted to put a new power pack on the motor, but since I had dealed with the issue before I knew I needed a new timer base, I installed it and boom motor ran again, is there something else that might be killing my timer bases??? this one I installed it is a brand new one...

a stator or timer base can kill a power pack....although it is not common...a power pack usually will not kill the stator or timer base...so i think you are ok especially when you consider you put a used one in to start with...a spare power pack is a good thing to have in your boat tools though depending on how far you go from civilization with the boat....

Back