Logo

Tilt Troubles

jshane37

Regular Contributor
"1997 200 HP Johnson Ocean Run

"1997 200 HP Johnson Ocean Runner. Motor stuck in the up position. I get power to the tilt motor from the throttle control and engine control button but the motor will not budge. Will not go up, and will not go down. I am pretty sure that it is already in the furthest up position that it can go. Any suggestions please?"

"Make sure that the bar that h

"Make sure that the bar that holds up the motor is not in place. Its a latch that doesn't put strain on the cylinder when on the trailer. If that fails, there should be a release valve on the side, it looks like a drilled hole put it is a release valve, all you need is a flathead screw driver. Hope this helps."

"make sure before you turn the

"make sure before you turn the valve to have that trailer latch where it will hold up the motor or it will come down fast. dont turn the screw but about 1-1.5 turns cause of a keeper that will mess up the threads.

check all your connections and make sure all are tight and corrosion free. you may have a bad wire,switch, or relay...........theres a way to check the motor by hooking it straight to the battery but i dont know exactly how on your model."

"Thanks guys, I will give that

"Thanks guys, I will give that a try. As of now, all the latches are free and clear and it appears that nothing is holding the engine up other than the single bar coming from the powered unit. Amazing how something runs great one moment then POOF things go hay-wire. Oh the joys of boat ownership!! UGH"

"Thanks for the input David.

"Thanks for the input David. Would it be a fuse if I am getting power to the unit though? It makes the noise as if it wants to move up or down, but will not budge. Not sure."

"nope....is the motor running?

"nope....is the motor running?...have u checked the fluid level...?it could be the tilt tube ,loosen the nuts on the steering tube.push down on lower unit,while hitting down button.."

"Might just be air in the syst

"Might just be air in the system, if so it needs bleeding and topping up.

Check the fluid level first, top up then loosen the manual relief valve, cycle the leg up and down a few time to bleed the system, re-top fluid level and tighten the manual valve..TIGHT.

I find I can lift the leg on my 150 myself, it feels heavy initially but thats the resistance of the fluid starting to move thru the valve, once it gets going the leg will lift easily, the head is a lot heavier than the leg and its beyond the vertical anyway so its actually helping.

I found I needed to use a wrench on the screwdriver to loosen the valve, a big screwdriver with square shaft works good."

"Will check it out tomorrow gu

"Will check it out tomorrow guys. Motor is not running, waiting on a primer solenoid to come in. Ready to take the old one off, but a little hard to do now that my engine is stuck in the up position. Rains it pours."

Did I mention that this boat a

Did I mention that this boat and engine are in the water at the end of my dock?!!?!! Fun fun fun to work on that.

"if the elect mtr,is not runni

"if the elect mtr,is not running,there's your problem.....i would get the boat on a trlr,disc mtr wires,...ground the blue wire,pos to green,if it now wks,u have a wire/replay/switch problem,does'nt wk---repl elect mtr."

"I am getting power to the til

"I am getting power to the tilt unit, which is what troubles me. No bars, latches or levers holding it from moving up or down. Just sits there in the up position."

"It sounds exactly like it did

"It sounds exactly like it did when it was working properly, but no movement of the outboard motor. I did notice prior to this happening, a definate change in the sound of the motor while moving up and down (not when the unit was under the load of the outboard though). Would using the manual release to lower the unit and checking the fluid level be a good place to start? My nose is burried in the SELOC manual now looking for the type of fluid."

"the motor needs to be in the

"the motor needs to be in the up position to check/fill the fluid.

if the motor is still spinning sounds like low fluid.......hopefully its nothing internal, there are a lot of o-rings inside there.

i was looking into a rebuild on mine a while back, due to a leak, and it looks like there are about 50 o-rings not to mention all the other goodies. i fixed my leak for round $20 with the help of joe reeves and jwbmarine. thanks again guys.

you can go to http://shop.evinrude.com/ and put in your info and get completely exploded diagrams and parts descriptions........"

"Ok I managed to top off the f

"Ok I managed to top off the fluid, I noticed that some dripped out when I took the plastic cap off. Still no up or down motion. I also attempted to loosen the manual release screw, but it is frozen in position. I sprayed it, tapped it, tried heat on it and so forth. Any other way to get the motor lowered so I can at least get the boat on the trailor? Temp today was a balmy 28 degrees and I need to get it out of the water."

"the only way,u r gonna get it

"the only way,u r gonna get it down,is by the man rel valve screw,or removing tilt rod....both may be difficult.will it,by chance,try to move up?"

"Unfortunately it is in the fu

"Unfortunately it is in the furthest up position. The motor kicks in like its supposed to, but it will not budge up or down. The motor for the tilt sounds smooth when I push up or down, but it just will not move."

"can u push down on the lower

"can u push down on the lower unit,WHILE HITTING THE DOWN BUTTON?..dont fall in that 28 degree wtr.."

"I have tried putting weight o

"I have tried putting weight on the outboard while hitting the down button with no avail. I even gently bounced the outdrive while hitting up and down on the outdrive control and still nothing. It just amazes me that the tilt motor sound great, but nothing is moving!!
You mentioned in previous post the steering tube. Is that still an option? Is there no other way to bleed that pump to get that unit lowered?"

"r u aware,that there is the t

"r u aware,that there is the trailering tilt bracket,and the til 'up' lever,,that keeps the unit up,it flips down on stern bracket....."

"Tuesday. I usually just keep

"Tuesday. I usually just keep it lifted enough to keep it out of the water, but tuesday I raised it all the way up in preparation to replace the fuel primer solenoid that (god willing) is not working properly (Whole new thread on that one). Thursday when I went back down there, it would not budge. I live on the Chesapeake Bay of Maryland, so the water is a little salty, but not ocean salty."

"# 39,tilt lock lever.

<[im

"# 39,tilt lock lever.

221563.png"" alt=""

Yes aware of both and visually

Yes aware of both and visually verified them today to be in the free and clear position. There is not a darn thing other than the tilt tube shaft holding it in place.

"ok,.....did it go up and down

"ok,.....did it go up and down fine on tuesday?..at this point,and in the water,u will either have to get the man rel valve loosened,or load it up w/out starting engine."

"It did, worked like a champ T

"It did, worked like a champ Tuesday. Know anywhere I can get a deal on some durable paddles. sheesh."

"if ,when u raised it all the

"if ,when u raised it all the way up,...u stayed on the button too long,it is poss it is hydraulically locked 'UP'...fastrac sys dont do this very often at all,compared to the older units.....when u get it out of the water.,and IF u still cant get MR valve loosened,..unscrew cap on tilt cyl to allow fluid to bleed of a fair amount and try....REMEMBER,that the unit,may FALL and fast,it is of course preferable,to support it,during this.-remmeber to refill tnt reservoir."

Jwb thanks a million for your

Jwb thanks a million for your time. Was on here a few years ago and you helped me with a merc I had trouble with. Your input is greatly appreciated. I will spare you my problems with the (suspected) solenoid primer......for now.

Back