Logo

Tilt assembly problems

"some how i have managed to be

"some how i have managed to bend the rod that runs through my housing to lift and lower my outdrive. my question is how do i get this assy. off so i can put the new one in?
290157.gif
"

"If bent on the lower area, th

"If bent on the lower area, this can make it tough since it must come out the top due to the key in the vice rod (the shaft that is bent).

BTW, a good machinsit may be able to straighten the vice rod for you..... depends on the damage.

Be careful to not pry or wedge under the mounting flange..... these are brittle and can break easily.
Try raising the drive and placing a piece of wood between the main suspension fork "arm" and the pressure plate (# 8) at the bottom of the vice rod .
When the two bolts have been removed, you may be able to push down on the drive causing the entire lift unit to lift up and out of the transom shield.

These are expensive housings.... so try this first before any other method.

."

I just did one of these and wh

I just did one of these and what Ricardo is telling you is the way to lift the complete assembly from it's housing. My drive was in the complete up position and I could'nt get any wood between the pressure plate and the lift arm on the drive. Sooooo what I did was.....Remove the control box from the top of the lift mechanisim and layed it to the side. Then I removed the 2 mounting bolts from the mounting flange and then used good old fashioned muscle to pull the mechanisim out of the housing. You have to pull at the same angle as it sits in the housing. Be careful not to push it back and forth like a pry bar. Twisting side to side is OK to break any corrosion loose.

Since your vise rod is bent it's going to take a little patience to get the pressure plate straight into the hole in the housing. The pressure plate is just a smidge smaller that the hole in the housing and needs to be just right to bring it up and out.

The only thing inside the housing s an o-ring so if corrosion is not real bad you should be able to pull it by hand.

my outdrive is all the way dow

my outdrive is all the way down so the pin is all the way up. i tryed to puu but i is just too tight. what do you think about pulling the outdrive and pounding it up from the bottom? thanks for all the help

"I'd not go to that troubl

"I'd not go to that trouble nor would I beat on it!
Even if the "Vice Rod" is fully retracted, there is still some "lift" left ....... (about 1/2" - 3/4")!
I'd use the leverage that you can have between the fork "arm" and the pressure plate.
Place a piece of wood between the two and push down on the drive..... the lift unit should raise up about 1/2" + .... just enough to free it so you can remove it the rest of the way by hand.

."

If you don't have enough o

If you don't have enough of the vise rod coming out of the drive to give a 1/2 to 1' of push as described by Ricar. Find a wooden dowel 3/4" 2 or 3" long. Raise the drive by hand and place the dowel rod against the pressure plate and gently lower the drive so that the bottom of the dowel rests on the drive lift fork arm. Now try pushing down on the drive. Probably going to take 2 people to do this. One raisng the drive and one placing the dowel.

"Well, even when fully retract

"Well, even when fully retracted, there is a pretty good portion of the pressure plate, housing and seal cap protruding from the transom shield.
I'm hopeful that he can get it.
But the dowell idea may work also.
Or, a socket on top of the piece of wood you choose!

That sucker's just got to come out of there!
thumbs_up.gif
"

Back