Logo

thunderbolt distributor

from what I read the thunderbolt 5 gets you to full advance quicker...I have a 4.3 1997 vortec heads 8 bolt w/thunderbolt 4

Last edited:
from what I read the thunderbolt 5 gets you to full advance quicker...I have a 4.3 1997 vortec heads 8 bolt w/thunderbolt 4

Nope,... Advance is controlled by the module, 'n there's several modules for each system, with different timin' curves,...

Merc has a prescribed ignition advance for each engine that must be observed.
Advance too early can lead to Marine Engine Load detonation issues.

EST = electric spark timing. No mechanical advance at all in these systems.
When the spark event is triggered..... she's at the full advance value.

Since we cannot cause an electrical event to occur any sooner than it's originated, the EST is set up to offer this initial full advance, and then delays this advance via the electronic circuitry and algorythm as per RPM (plus additional data with some systems).

Knock sensors add additional data that will re-adjust the dely when required. IOW.... when a detonation knock is sensed..... the dealy is increased, thus reducing the advance that the engine sees.

Nope,... Advance is controlled by the module, 'n there's several modules for each system, with different timin' curves,...
Yes!

Back