Logo

Thermostats - Impellers etc

BigNiner19

Contributing Member
2005 Honda BF225. Noticed that my motor does not pump water at idle very well, but does seem to pump well under way. This usually tells me the impeller needs replaced. I have not done this on this new to me Honda, but I figured I would ask a couple questions before I dive into anything.

Do the two thermostats effect the amount of water discharged out the tell tale? Even when I hook up the hose to the flush port, the stream coming out of the tell tale is weak, but better than engine running in the water at idle.

Anything else I should take into consideration? I plan to do the impeller soon as a precautionary maintenance, but was curious about the thermostats. Thanks.

UPDATE: I took a stiff piece of monofilament and stuck it 5-6 inches up the tell tale and now its pumping like it should again. Why does this get clogged up so easily?!?

Maybe I should pop out the thermostats and backflush some and try and clear up some of the water passages?

It is always a good idea to pull the t-stats and check them and clean out any corrosion in that area. The older 225's can get some serious corrosion in the block area underneath the t-stats, so it's a good idea to monitor that area and try to prevent it from happening. You should also check with Honda to see if the exhaust tubes have been replaced with the re-designed ones IAW Service Bulletin # 56. If you need a copy, send me an e-mail at [email protected]

I boat in areas where soft groundings are almost routine, so I change out the water pump every season - that's normally 250-300 hours on my engine. The reason I change the entire pump is that the seat where the impeller sits can also wear and even a new impeller will not provide an optimum seal when that happens.

I don't think the condition of the T-stats effects the flow of water out of the telltale, but someone else may know more about that. As for the telltale tube getting clogged up, I don't know if there is any particular cure for that. I always carry a piece of 400 lb mono on the boat. String cleaner filament also works well.

Got twin 2002 225hp motors
As far as tell tale getting clogged w salt crystals etc its just nature of the beast will see that often its first place I check when no good water stream. I usually change impellar yearly just because good practice built myself a stand with 2x4 to hold gearcase while changing water pimp makes it painless to change. I changed thermostat's last year even after checking them in pot of hot water to make sure they opened just too be issue free in future ,.I know there is a previous post on. Hanging water pump biggest deal is be sure to make sure all wings of impellar when go back in housing bent back right direction

Back