Logo

thermostat?

Srgentpepr

I just changed the circulator pump on my Volvo Penta 5.7 GSI, prior to doing so the temperature gauge seem to be registering around 165 degrees. Now that the new pump is in that issue is fixed but the gauge does not get above 120 degrees. My question is do you think the thermostat is stuck open or would it run that much cooler with the new pump?

My info tells me that the following engines 5.7GLPLKA, 5.7GLPLKD, 5.7GLPLKE, 5.7GLPLKR, 5.7GSPLKD, 5.7GSPLKE, 5.7GLIPLKDCE, 5.7GIPLKDCE, 5.7GIPLKECE, 5.7GSICPLKD, 5.7GSIPLKDCE, 5.7GSIPLKE are fitted with Closed System Cooling, in which case you may want to stay around 160/180 degrees.
Not sure what would cause the fluctuation or difference in temp.

However, if raw water cooled, and if the PO had installed an automotive Circ Pump, the impeller may have become sacrificed some, thus loosing efficiency and not circulating coolant (sea water) as well as it could have.
Now you have a NEW Circ Pump with a fresh impeller..... hopefully one that is suited for your cooling system ... ( i.e., raw water or closed system. )

This may explain part of why the engine is cooler now. I don't know for sure.

Fact: it is never a bad idea to replace a thermostat.

Again..... are you raw water cooled??? are you in salt water????
If so, we want to run cooler to avoid salt crystallization.

Last edited:
I'm in salt water, it's a raw water cooled system, not closed loop. The thermostat is 6 years old. I will change it out, it's just strange that it happen at the same time I changed the circulating pump. When I had the pump out I checked the impeller in the raw water pump, it was like new (changed it last season). I guess it's another joy of owning a boat

Back