Logo

Thermostat Placement 454

craig_collins

Regular Contributor
I have a GenIV 454 and recently replaced my thermostat. I was told by a mechanic that he puts the thermostat in the intake. I just noticed on a parts break down for Crusader, they show the thermostat in the spacer housing. Would it matter if the thermostat is in the intake vs. the spacer block?

If the spacer block is ported in a fashion that changes coolant flow for a "tap off" (example only), I'd go with what the OEM recommends.

Can you post a few photos?

Hi Rick,

I don't have any photos but the spacer block just gets the theromstat top housing higher off the mainfold so the two hoses attaching to the exhaust mainfolds cleat the intake.

Make sense?

Hope this works. fresh water cooling.gif

Yep.... it worked.

Some of the newer intake manifolds eliminate a coolant supply port in lieu of a spacer port for supply (for cabin heater or WH).
If the port in the spacer is used, the thermostat must be above it .... or you can't take advantage of the pressure differential.

Attachments

• T stat for Craig Collins.jpg
    T stat for Craig Collins.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 242
So I'm good with the thermostat in the intake???
Well, this would depend on whether or not the spcer's port is being used for a cabin heater or water heater coolant supply.

Like said..... if the port is being used, the thermostat must be above the spacer's port.
IOW, we do not want the thermostat governing how much coolant is available for this supply. We want a fully available supply of coolant.

This is what creates the pressure differential between supply/return.
The return will always be at the engine circulating pump.

I'm thinking that if this port is plugged off and is NOT used, it would not matter much as to where the stat was installed.

Last edited:
FWIW, my owners manual shows a bypass port in the thermostat housing...if its there and you omit it, be sure to monitor the exhaust manifold's temperatures...also, eliminating the spacer may make bleeding out the system more difficult than normal

Back