Logo

The correct position of the fuel pump? And diaprhams?

I have a 87 or newer sqaure type fuel pump with the diaprams and check valves,I have seen on 4 differnet web sites and in the diaprham kits the schematics are wrong?I think,when I check 1 sight it shows the the cover then the gasket then the diaprham then the body the diaprham then gasket?I am so confused is there a place or somebody that can tell me the correct way to put on gaskets and diaphrams?please,also is there a way to tell the correct positioning of the fuel pump itself so I dont put it on wrong? THANK YOU

Your gonna need the serial number for your motor but you should be able to follow the flow of fuel thru the check valves also some good pics would help also. if you cant find a serial number how do you know what year it is. So far it has been a guessing game with the little info you have given. Merc did alot of different designs throughout the years. The position of the fuel pump is not important does it have three nipples on it. One is crankcase pulse then in and out blow on each one with your mouth one should blow thru that is fuel in, the one air comes out is for the carbs and the other is the pulse that drives the diaphram. Upside down backwards or sideways the pump will allways work the same. Unless it mounts on a carb or powerhead to provide a pulse to it.

NO NO,I was given the boat afew months ago, it was my freinds boat who kinda neglected it,the motor had the top end replaced under warranty about 7 yrs ago with newer topend.the boat sat for almost 6 yrs soon after rebuild.i restored it.it is a 1987 60hp merc serial#0b186461

Messed with one of them as well. Very confusing. Put it together the smartest way and see if it works. If not, try it a different way--you won't wreck anything trying.

Jeff

Back