Logo

That (blankety blank) power teering agaun!

fastjeff

Gold Medal Contributor
1986 Mercruiser 305 w/ power steering.

I've replaced both hoses and back flushed the oil cooler with solvent, yet the fool system was near bone dry again after about a 20 mile run. I can see oil (more oil!) in the bilge, so it's probably leaking (again) from its usual spot--where the return line fastens to the oil cooler.

When I first started messing with this thing, the oil cooler was definitely restricted--had to blow air and Cut Finder (AKA Lacquer thinner) through it. It 'seemed' okay, but a blown return line and the loss of oil several times since then is ticking me off! New coolers are like gold, and used ones might not be any better (and wouldn't that tick me off!).

Question: How necessary is this fool oil cooler? Most autos don't use one, and I rarely reach 3,000 rpm. No problem at all to bypass the thing with a length of pipe.

Jeff

the hose clamps are too large and not sealing the hose. Plus the return is almost no pressure and any type of oil hose can be used for return lines

Agreed UNLESS the cooler is somehow plugging itself, causing enough back pressure to: 1, blow the line, and, 2 cause a leak at the joint with TWO hose clamps holding the fool hose on.

What I need to know is, has anyone removed the oil cooler and run without it? I cruise below 3,000 rpms 99% of the time.

Jeff

Most good radiator shops can clean out an oil cooler...given its 30 years old, a replacement is not unreasonable.....

The factory wouldn't have spent the money to install it if there wasn't a need for it....and most autos have them, they aren't always apparent. I would say you can run without one for testing or emergency purposes, but I wouldn't push it further than that .... you can always bypass it and get out the IR gun.....if the temp stays under 200 deg F, you should be ok.....

Yeah...Good idea on the IR gun.

To be honest--and I've worked on cars for 60 plus years--I never recall seeing a PS cooler. Trans colers, sure, but not a PS cooler. If they're hiding in there someone, I've never seen one.

Jeff

many times, the auto coolers aren't much more than a loop of hard tubing - they exploit the air flow that a boat's engine compartment will never have - no fins like a trans coolers though I've seen a few of them on pickup trucks....

Another option - just pull the blanket blank PS system components, get the belts straight and move up to hydraulic steering....

Good ideas, and a good thoughts on the air cooling concept. Certainly true that air from the radiator could do the cooling on cars.

I ran the boat with the PS pump belt off for a while and it wasn't that bad. If I removed the PS cylinder, it might be even better!

Jeff

Back