Logo

Thank you to everyone that tried to help me with my engine

Dopey39

I wanted to send a quick thank you to everyone that has tried to help me with my engine and viewed my post. I was losing power at wide open throttle and to make a long story short while attempting to replace the water manifold gasket today I noticed my number two and number three pistons are damaged. I would guess that that is the problem I’m having achieving full power at wide open throttle. 2B6B7CCE-F5FF-4F25-9DF0-7CC75E586384.jpeg

for those of you having a similar issue losing power at wide open throttle it may be worth a check. I had replaced just about everything on the motor fuel lines coils gaskets fuel pump plugs you name it I probably replaced it and it came down to number two and number three pistons. What’s odd is I had 110 to 115 psi on each cylinder so I guess don’t always take a compression test is absolute

Okay, thanks. Yes compression test is not always proof of perfect health. Also, the repair must also address what CAUSED the problem.

yikes hoping thats not my issue..i'm still running thru the ignition.

Are you sure thats the issue? Doesn't seem like you have had time to rebuilt the head yet.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. I got the boat second hand and never ran at WOT. It would idle and run at about 1/2 throttle all day. I checked the plugs and it looked like they had water on them so I went to replace my manifold gasket and noticed the pistons scored. I don't know if that is the reason it wouldn't over 1/2 throttle or not.

Machine shop wants 300.00 to rebore so it looks like I'm going that route.

Seen lots of motors with "good" compression and have bad cylinder's. Compression test only proves cylinders can support combustion. My customers get compression and leakdown test.

Back