Logo

Test running a 75 HP 4 cyl, 2 stroke QUESTION

No more than about 1000 rpms - so just off idle.

A garden hose can't supply enough water as the rpms increase and these can overheat pretty fast (a matter of seconds).

If you need to crank it up, use a garbage can full of water, but keep a close eye on the tach - a motor can "run away" with no load and self-destruct...

it is rare for them to run away especially when they dont have legs ;) jkjk
make sure it is getting water though going threw the engine when in garbage can make sure engine is submerged enough!

If I built a large wooden box, say 4' X 4' under the engine, lined the box with plastic and filled it with water, could I test it in gear? I already started building it so I hope it will work.

ye that willl work you can put it in gear but wouldnt rev to high. you will be spitting water all over so make sure you keep hose in the water and make sure it stays the right amount.!

Thanks, I'll give it a go today. The problem is just past idle anyway so if I fix it and it blows the box apart, I know I succeeded. Will report back soon

goodluck! make sure that engine isnt on wheels or it is strapped to somethign wouldnt want it to take off ;)

Back