Logo

temp sender

anyone know if there is a adjustable temp sending unit for a vintage 2 stroke. eng is RKL-24, (62 40hp seahorse electromatic) gauge is a Faria GP9454, sender is F90405, problem is there unit is a flat mount but the casting of the head leaves 140 thousandths gap when mounted. need to close that gap to pick up the heat from the head, lookin for ideas. thanks

The sending unit does not have to contact the head. The aluminum mounting strap under the head bolt conducts heat to the sending unit. I select a head bolt on the exhaust side of the head, and toward the top, pointing the strap upward for maximum heat transfer. I've installed a lot of them back in "The Day".

The sending unit does not have to contact the head. The aluminum mounting strap under the head bolt conducts heat to the sending unit. I select a head bolt on the exhaust side of the head, and toward the top, pointing the strap upward for maximum heat transfer. I've installed a lot of them back in "The Day".

Thanks for the info, Faria tech has told me the strap is the ground and the flat has to touch the head. but it can be shimmed to fill the gap, they have no plans to tool for any other style of sender.

Find the screw on the water cover below the thermostat.----Remove screw.------Use a small file to remove the raised ridges.-----Then use a suitable piece of material and 400 paper to get a flat area.----Then use a small FLAT piece a material ( glass ) and valve grinding or lapping compound to get a perfectly flat surface.-----Install the sender.-----You are now done.-------Old time / simple is the way I do it !

Back