Logo

Telltale water outlet on Outboard Motor.

pharlap

I've only just bought my first boat in the last month, after growing up around boats.

As soon as I bought the boat, I sent it straight away for a full major service on the motor, gearbox, water pump etc which was completed, and the motor came back with a 100% full bill of health.

The motor is a 1999 Johnson 130hp 2 stroke V4.

I've taken the boat out in the river twice for a couple of get to know it type trips, and have noticed that the Tell tale, peehole, place where the water squirts out the side of the motor, whatver you want to call it, the water stream is not a direct squirt, it doesn't stop and start water is allways coming out of it, although it is not a straight stream with a lot of pressure. Now when I flush it on the ear muffs, I have noticed down on the lower gear box leg that either side of the leg also has a tell tale squirt which is strong and constant, along with another one at around the same level down low squirting towards the transom.

Yesterday I dropped back into where I had it serviced, not where I bought the boat from, spoke to the mechanic in regards to the top tell tale pressure, and he told me that the tell tale pipe connects onto a fitting which is connected to the motor body by a backing nut, this same fitting also has a breather type tube coming off it as well which just sits in the bottom of the motor body which the mechanic says serves no real purpose, the mechanic said if it was his motor he would take off the breather altogether, remove the fitting and backing nut, put a grommet in the motor body hole and pass the tell tale pipe through the grommet and then I would get a decent squirt out. He told me to go home take the motor cover off, just pull the tell tale pipe off the fitting hold it out to the side, put the motor on flush start it and I would see a decent squirt, which I did and he was 100 % correct.

Has anyone come across this previously, and would it be good advice to remove this fitting, and use the grommet advice ?

Cheers.

are you calling the motor body the lower part of the cover the cowl fits on?when you say pull the hose off and hold it over the side thats what it sounds like....on that motor the phole is before the water goes thru the water jacket etc and means only that your water pump is working and the passage for water is clear to that point.....that water will always be cool water and you have to feel your exhaust water to tell if the water is too hot....that phole hose will put out a better stream on a older motor doing as the guy suggested but i dont know the reason for the breather tube....i would leave it as is if i was getting a stream....or replace the adapter that goes thru the what i call lower cover....if i was going to do anything i would ask the mechanic if he just replaced the water pump impeller or did he replace the housing also?....

Back