Logo

telltale on muffs but not in test tank

lanwin

Hello, just purchased first boat, it has a 2006 mercury 60 elpt efi on it. I've been changing fluids etc and ran it on muffs and got water out the telltale. Put it in a 45 gallon drum and fired it up and do not get a telltale. Question - is this normal or an indication that the water pump impeller is done?

Hah! You're not the first to get confused this way, and you won't be the last.

On the muffs, the water pressure coming from the hose is pushing water past what remains of your impeller. Got it?

Jeff

Consider it a cheap lesson with your first boat !------It seems there are many folks that still think it is OK to run and outboard without water to the impeller.----Have seen some extreme examples this summer.----Sorry but it takes some time and some " manual reading " to become an operator of an outboard motor.------They are often ruined by folks who had no idea that they were doing something wrong !!

Gotta add this, talking about uneducated.

When I was a teen dad had a 1955 or 56 10 hp Scott Atwater. I liked to fiddle with engines and liked boats and all even though we had to rent a boat to go fishing. Anyway, many times I'd start and run that engine for a bit sitting on the wooden bracket in the garage where we kept it. I had a 55 gallon barrel in the yard and sometimes, if running for any length of time I'd run it in there......water level high enough to splash out when I'd put it in gear and run at low rpms...well above the impeller. I wouldn't run it very long on the garage rack, but would run it dry none the less. Looking back, I can imagine what that impeller looked like but never, to my knowledge had an overheat problem.....no tell tale and no OT warning back then. The exhaust relief was a row of vertical holes on the back of he midsection and you could see water mist squirting out of them when running. The demise of the engine was on one day, running in a river on a little wooden john boat I built, I ran across slightly submerged.... cut off just below the surface enough to not see them till it was too late with the current water level that day....old, out of service railroad trestle wooden pilings. The midsection snapped in the center, like you cut across it with a recip saw and the only thing that kept the lower portion of the MS and LU intact was the shifter cable...similar to OMC 2 screw clamp on the upper and lower shift rod in the middle of the MS to get the LU off......was a long way paddling back to my camp site. Never repaired the engine.

Back