Logo

Tachs & Sync Guage

daspence

I have 2 - 2004 Honda BF150s and most of my guages are shot. I have done the troubleshooting part and fixed all the wiring, grounds, rotten (and well hidden) fuse holders, etc.

I am thinking about replacing the speedo with a sync guage. The tachometers are still working okay.

Does the sync gauge just wire in parallel to the tach signals from the motors? Or do you need a tach with an output for the sync gauge. I was looking at some faria tachs on ebay, and noticed that it has Port and Stbd Sync posts on the backs of the tachometers.

My boat is in FL and I don't know if my existing gauges have this. maybe I should just replace the Tachs as long as I am in there for a full overhaul of the gauge panel.

Attachments

• Faria Tach Terminals.jpg
    Faria Tach Terminals.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 28
First of all....I have never installed a syncronizer

Second of all....do not order the tach that you have in the picture. It is for an inboard/outboard. It will not work right for your outboard. Be sure to get a tach made for an outboard, if you are getting one made by Faria.

Third.....I think you can just connect the leads to the signal terminals....if you have this Faria Syncronizer....http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0079D.pdf

Read the instructions and it tells you what to do. If you are not using this syncronizer, you should do an internet search for your synchronizer installation instructions.

Just remember, this is just an educated guess.

Mike

So I guess you first answer is that these are not of much use? One of my buddies claims that all kinds of "bad vibes" can happen and it is a valuable thing to have.
I have just never had a pitot tube speedo on a boat that worked worth a damn. And figured this would be better than a dead gauge or blank.
Thanks as always for your help Mike.

Agree with your observation on the pitot tube. There are companies that make a transom-mounted speed wheel which feeds a small display you can mount in/on your console. They are much more accurate, but they need to be calibrated correctly. Most of my electronics are Garmin, and the transducer for my sounder has a speed wheel which is pretty accurate when properly calibrated.

That's interesting. I have wheel like that on my transom, but the Speedo has a rubber tube in the back, that I assumed was a piped to pitot intake on one of the Hondas. I just use my speed over ground display on my Garmin for mph. I wonder where the wheel goes?

Any comments on the value of a sync gauge?

No experience with sync gauges.

On the Garmin transducer for the GSD 21 or GSD 22 it bolts on the back of the transducer. However, I cannot find the part number for just that part. The whole transducer is an Airmar P66 Triducer. There is a separate speed sensor that plugs right into your transducer cable. That is Part Number 010-10279-01. Also, there is a new transducer for the Garmin network that does depth, water temperature and speed. That is the Airmar P32 Transducer, Garmin part number 010-10106-20. Have no idea what it costs.

Generally, download the file from this site: http://www8.garmin.com/transducers/d/Garmin-Transducer-Selection-Guide.pdf

Back