Logo

Tachometer Reading

208Adventure

Contributing Member
Hi All,
I am new here but have been lurking awhile. Lots of good info, thanks!

The other day, I was monitoring my engine (1995 Johnson 150 looper) with a clamp on digital tach and noticed that if I connected to 1,3, or 5 the reading was 650 rpm or so. If I connected to 2,4,or 6 the reading was double the starboard side.

What is happening?

Thanks
208Adventure

how is the motor running...is the top end rpm ok?

Actually, no. One of the issues I am chasing now is that the engine tops out at 4500 rpm. About a 3500 lb boat with a 15x17 viper prop. The dealer assured me this was not too much prop. (this is my first boat)

Are you sure your tach is accurate ??

The installed tach is a new Marpac, it seems to be accurate within 50-80 rpm when compared to a Bluepoint photo tach at idle. It also agrees with the port side. Could it be that my starboard bank is firing half as much? I could not get a reading at WOT on the water with the photo tach

Just came back from auto parts store with a new timing light,old one was weak then stopped altogether. Will check shortly.

Now we are making progress, although in a bad direction. Connected timing light to all 6 cylinders at idle and and each illuminated its appropriate mark.
using photo tach, and installed tach, I was in the process of adjusting the carbs as best you can in a 110 gallon tub in neutral. Rpms were about 950.
After 30-5 minutes running, it was like you switched the key off, no spark on any cylinder checked with inline spark checker.
Engine is not running hot. During carb adjustment it would just dead skip randomly.

ETA I am using the factory manual and testing the stop circuit first

Last edited:
While having no spark..... remove the black/yellow wire (kill circuit) from the ignition switch. If spark returns immediately after removing that wire... replace the ignition switch as it has an intermittent short within it.

While having no spark..... remove the black/yellow wire (kill circuit) from the ignition switch. If spark returns immediately after removing that wire... replace the ignition switch as it has an intermittent short within it.

Exactly this. The shop manual has you remove the port side packard connector from the ignition module and crank the engine. Spark immediately returned. This is a new switch with a year warranty from the dealer. Wish me luck!

ETA Thanks for the confirmation joereeves, while you are here, what is your opinion on there being a #70D high speed orifice in one carb and #57D in the other 5? The #70 was in cylinder 6, I moved it to cylinder 2 where I could get to it easily.

Last edited:
Exactly this. The shop manual has you remove the port side packard connector from the ignition module and crank the engine. Spark immediately returned. This is a new switch with a year warranty from the dealer. Wish me luck!

ETA Thanks for the confirmation joereeves, while you are here, what is your opinion on there being a #70D high speed orifice in one carb and #57D in the other 5? The #70 was in cylinder 6, I moved it to cylinder 2 where I could get to it easily.

Any opinion on my edit?

Sorry to say that I retired in 1991 and I'm not familiar to what jet belongs where in your engine. However, a 57 jet to a 70 is one hellava jump! Something does not sound right to me there!

Sorry to say that I retired in 1991 and I'm not familiar to what jet belongs where in your engine. However, a 57 jet to a 70 is one hellava jump! Something does not sound right to me there![/QUOTE

Yep, that's a big difference in percentage. I already have a 57D on the way. cylinder 6 plug was a lot darker than the rest.

OK back to my no spark issue, the only way I can get spark to return is to disconnect the Packard connector on the ignition module. Conducting the stop circuit test, the key switch circuit passes (using the harness adapter) and the blocking diode in the power pack passes (infinity key one way, 1.75 meg with key other way) I am trying to digest the emergency stop circuit now (I do not have a clip switch) to see if the dealer left a bad connection somewhere.

Thanks

Update: I have spark with the port side Packard connector unplugged from the ignition module Stop circuit and blocking diode in ignition module passes tests in shop manual. So, I began pulling wires from the connector one at a time and checking for spark. When I pulled the yellow/red wire out, spark returned.
Help!

Thanks

Update: I have spark with the port side Packard connector unplugged from the ignition module Stop circuit and blocking diode in ignition module passes tests in shop manual. So, I began pulling wires from the connector one at a time and checking for spark. When I pulled the yellow/red wire out, spark returned.
Help!

Thanks

Update: Evidently, the power pack is smart enough not to start up on low voltage. The voltage reading during cranking at the yellow/red wire was 9.5 vdc. I had previously discharged the batteries during a flooding of the vapor separator that I corrected. After fully charging the batteries, it now starts and runs normally. I ran it today in the tank for over 2 hours with no shutdowns. I also found a loose ground that could have been contributing to the problem.

Thanks for the replies

Update, put boat in water today with 2 fully charged batteries. Also have replaced the #70 orifice with the correct #57.
Started and Idled fine, after warm up, engine accelerated right past 4500 rpm topping out at 51-5200.
About 30 second later, it was like you turned the key off at 5100 rpm. No spark. Nothing I did that worked previously made spark return.
Ideas?

ETA spark plugs looked good, no sign of fouling although #2 plug was very light colored as if it was lean.

1 -
Replaced the #70 orifice with the correct #57, topping out at 51-5200.

2 - About 30 second later, it was like you turned the key off. No spark. Nothing I did that worked previously made spark return.

3 - ETA spark plugs looked good, no sign of fouling although #2 plug was very light colored as if it was lean.

1 = Apparently the engine was loading up with fuel with the previously installed #70 high speed jet and the called for #57 allowed the rpms to return to normal.

2 = The stator under the flywheel is the beginning of both the charging system and also the ignition system. There are two large black coils (close together) that provide approximately 300 AC volts to the powerpack capacitor, needed to enable the powerpack. Those coils eventually start to melt down and as they do... when cold the stator may function properly BUT as it heats up, the ignition/spark becomes erratic, weak, and eventually non existent. With this in mind, check those black coils to see if there is a sticky looking substance dripping down on the powerhead area/ Sometimes it's obvious, and at other times it's necessary to remove the flywheel.

3 = I'd suggest you move that lean looking spark plug to another cylinder to see if the switched replacement plug turns from normal to another lean looking condition. You were running that #70 jet in that cylinder for awhile and I'm wondering if that lean looking condition resulted from being "washed out".

NOTE: Is your tachometer still acting up?..... Is your engine keeping your batteries charged?

Last edited:
The installed tach worked fine. The volt meter on the dash read almost 14v while engine was running. The #70 jet was originally in #6 cylinder and was replaced by the correct one before operating today.
#2 cylinder has always looked lean to me since getting the boat.
#6 has always looked fouled until today it looks normal with the right jet installed. I will move the #2 plug to another cylinder.
I am now going to remove the flywheel and get a look at the stator, will report back

Thanks joereeves

Is it required to change the regulator also?

Replacing the regulator/rectifier assembly is not mandatory as it may be in perfect condition. The portion of the stator that failed (melting down) pertains to the ignition and has nothing to do with the battery charging setup. However, should the regulator/rectifier prove to be faulty by coincidence, it will most likely affect the tachometers performance and if so..... the system can be checked as follows.

(Testing Tachometer With Water Cooled Regulator/Rectifier)
(J. Reeves)

A quick check is to simply plug in a another new tachometer as a piece of test equipment. If the new tach works properly and the old tach didn't, obviously the old tach is faulty.... but usually boaters don't carry around a spare tach (see below).

A faulty rectifier wouldn't damage the tachometer, the tachometer simply wouldn't work. This is due to the fact that the tachometer operates off of the charging system and the rectifier converts AC voltage to DC voltage, enabling the charging system. A faulty rectifier disables the charging system, and the tachometer simply doesn't register.

However.... those water cooled regulator/rectifiers that are used on the 35 ampere charging systems (and some others) bring into play a different type problem, and as you've probably found out, they are really a pain to troubleshoot via the proper procedure. There's an easier way.

The tachometer sending/receiving setup operates off of the gray wire at the tachometer. That same gray wire exists at the engine wiring harness which is connected to the engine electrical terminal strip. You'll see that there is a gray wire leading from the regulator/rectifier to that terminal strip, and that there is another gray wire attached to it. That other gray wire is the wire leading to the tachometer which is the one you're looking for.

NOTE: For the later models that DO NOT incorporate a wiring terminal strip, splicing into the "Yellow Wire" mentioned will be necessary.

Normally the Gray wire leading from the tachometer is attached at the terminal strip to another Gray wire which leads from the water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier...... remove the gray wire that leads to the tachometer. Now, find the two (2) yellow wires leading from the stator to that terminal strip. Hopefully one of them is either yellow/gray or is connected to a yellow/gray wire at the terminal strip. If so, connect the gray wire you removed previously to that yellow/gray terminal. Start the engine and check the tachometers operation, and if the tachometer operates as it should, then the regulator/rectifier is faulty and will require replacing. If the tachometer is still faulty, replace the tachometer.

If neither of the yellow wires from the stator is yellow/gray, and neither is attached to a yellow/gray wire, then attach that gray tachometer wire to either yellow stator wire, then the other yellow wire, checking the tachometer operation on both connections.

I've found this method to be a quick and efficient way of finding out which component is faulty.... the tachometer or the regulator/rectifier. It sounds drawn out but really only takes a very short time to run through. If the water cooled regulator/rectifier proves to be faulty, don't put off replacing it as they have been known to catch on fire with disastrous consequences.

joereeves,

Is it required to use new bolts that hold the flywheel? I have some on the way but it may be a while before they arrive. The factory service manual says to discard the bolts once removed.

Thanks

Is it required to use new bolts that hold the flywheel? I have some on the way but it may be a while before they arrive. The factory service manual says to discard the bolts once removed. Thanks

I retired a few years before your engine was manufactured so I'm really not up to date on what is or is not a mandatory repair operation. However... if the manual recommends it, there must be a reason and I'd go along with it.

Update:
Since I last posted, I have replaced the stator with a new CDI part. Still no spark. I went back to the manual and checked everything in order, and found that one half of the optical sensor had finally failed. The half that looks at top dead center of #1 for timing setup was working, the half that looks at each individual cylinder was not. This was discovered using the Ignition Analyzer.
I ordered a optical sensor and a ignition module (just to try to shortcut Murphys Law).
On friday, installed just the optical sensor and engine fired up and acted normal.
Went to the river this morning, ran for over an hour at various speeds including idle and wot. Ran a little rough at idle, but midrange and wot was smooth.
Was only able to get 5000 rpm and 36 mph (gps).
Came home, pulled the plugs and all had a uniform tan color without fouling.

Question, am I through tuning and now prop shopping?

Thanks for reading

Back