Logo

Tach question

floatin radio

Regular Contributor
Merc 3.0. Every once in awhile my tach will jump up from 3500 rpm to 7000 rpm or so. I just tap on the tach and it goes back to normal. ( engine does not rev, just the tach). Engine sound stays the same, no issues starting or anything. Is this a start to a potential problem, or don't worry about it?

Last edited:
Check your connections make sure they are clean and tight. Also there is a switch on the back of some tachs 4,6,8 sometimes if you switch it back and forth between the positions and then go back to the original one that can help.

Maybe the wire is grounding out. You could run a fresh clean new wire from the tach to the dist.

Be nice radio and we will be nice back.

I only tell people once.

Thanks guys. You too Bondo. I apologize, i was having a moment. Being on the lake, having a beer and listening to some tunes made it much better!

Have a meter handy. Next time it occurs, put the meter on the neg side of your spark coil and pos on the battery. Watch to see if the voltage changes. If the votlage maintains when the tach rpm's increase to 7000, it's your gauge. Quick check to ensure it's your gauge rather than tearing into your dash and find it's not the gauge.

Back