Logo

System Monitor

broh

Just bought 2008 Merc 115 EFI

Just bought 2008 Merc 115 EFI 4 stroke. I'm considering having a system monitor display added to my boat for $500.00. Is it worth it? Anybody have one? How do you like it. Also considering adding a hydrofoil any thoughts?

Brent

"Brent, I would kinda look at

"Brent, I would kinda look at it like this. A new 115 sells for somewhere around 8-10 grand (give or take). 500 bucks would be what, about 5-6% of that investment - not bad for a 1 time cost to give you added insurance and piece of mind that you won't "toast" your new motor....

As to the hydrofoil - see if you think you need it first. It does put a fair bit of stress on the cavitation plate, although I have never seen it bust a Mercs plates (has with others). It does help keep the bow down at lower speeds and hold a little tighter in turns, but also makes it more difficult to steer into a turn at higher speed (so more stress on the cables if you have conventional steering) and more stress on your arms
- Merc neither endorses or states that a foil will harm the motor....

You can achieve the same results as the foil running trim tabs or even a 4 blade prop...

(just as a note, I run a 4 blade prop and a foil on my motor - spend alot of time in canals with 7mph speed limits and found it really helped under those conditions)"

Back