Logo

Swivel Adjustment Screw on 70s and early 80s 9.9 and 15hp

Snapper Fisho

Regular Contributor
Hi all, just wanted to check with on this earlier model style swivel adjustment screw on the 9.9 and 15hp motors. This is second one that is totally stuck and the motor needs tensioning as it turns too freely.
I'm wary to use an impact screw driver on it as it way well break.
Any tips as seems to be not that good a design, compared to the later model ones.

Attachments

• 20220511_211521.jpg
    20220511_211521.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 17
I guess heat is my go-to for a stuck frozen bolt or screw. But it does burn the paint. I have had pretty good luck with a penitrant oil in a orange can called "Kroil". It worked the best for me. But if that won't free it up you could drill a hole the size of the screw head in a sheet of metal and use as a blast shield to protect the paint. Then heat the screw head up. Let it cool and see if it then moves. The heat will expand the threads and break the corrosion. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks BRUPP79 I will keep trying penetrant oil as don't want heat it up. Upper rubber mounts are not far from there either.
Yeah, my go-to would be heat as well. maybe you could cut a hole the size of the screw head in a tinfoil pie plate to better direct the heat on the screw only? Have you tried just giving the screw some hard taps with a flathead and a heavy hammer? You may find that it dislodges the threads just enough. FWIW, I don't think the hand impact would break the screw (I'm talking about the kind that you hammer on).

Tried the flat head and hammer too bigtime_mcalpine.
The hand impact screw driver is the one that you hammer on top. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

Back