Logo

Switch on my transmission housing

halemorg

Hey:
I have a 1986 Chriscraft with two Crusader engines (220's). I changed the starter today on the Port side engine. When putting the new starter on i accidently broke the plug that attaches to some sort of temperature or pressure sensor that is threaded into the housing of my transmission. when I look this item up in my manual it says that some models come with an audio warning system. I do not see any gauges or audio units on my dahboard that shows anything for the transmission.
My question is how important is this sensor, I have had the boat for six years and never had any problems. I am not sure what the purpose is.
If I do not need to replace it I won't. But If I do I will have to order the part and wait for it to come in. I do not want to put the coolant tank back on if I have to wait for the part.
Please let me know if anyone has experience with this.
Ref attached photos for pics of the sensor and broken plug. It looks to me like this plug was corroded so bad it would not have worked anyway.

Attachments

• Crusader Transmission.jpg
    Crusader Transmission.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Crusader Transmission1.jpg
    Crusader Transmission1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 67
thats a temp sensor if teans gets too hot it sets the buzzer off that should go off every time you just turn your key on.if you turn your key on and no buzzer goes off .that my not have ever worked; youll have to check,partman.com has that sensor

Thanks bcclew
I will order the part, but in the meantime I am going to put everything back together and use it
I think your right, this has probably never worked. I just barely touched it when it broke. It was very corroded.

halemorg: normally, when the audio warning buzzer (horn) system is installed, the 'buzzer' is installed behind the instrument panel. two wires connect to them, one going to the ignition switch (run/iginition terminal)...if the buzzer hasn't sounded in a while - when the key is switched to RUN - then you have (at least) three possibilities: 1) not installed, 2) buzzer is bad, or 3) the oil pressure switch is bad.

BTW - the part that busted is the temperature warning switch, a standard BW part.

Thanks makomark: I will look behind the instrument panel, should there be two buzzers as my boat has two engines, or would both sensors be wired to one buzzer?

Could be either way.

Marinette wired the two tgether on mine, which did not allow safe running on one engine. Bad idea! I added a relay to separate them.

Jeff

PS: I have the circuit design if anyone else wants to do this.

The traditional setup is to have one buzzer for each engine. Also, each engine will have three switches - oil pressure, gear overheat, and engine overheat. The switches are wired in parallel so that if any one of them closes, the buzzer will go off.

Back