Logo

SWAPPING OUT a 470 for 120 MERCRUISER

tobra100

"Hi fella's I could still

"Hi fella's I could still use som help with this swap.
The boat is a 1986 rinker W/470. And I I got hold of an early 70's 120 hp still connected to the rotted transom. I also have everything thru the transom, up to but not including the outdrive. I need some questions answered
Q. #1- when I got the the 470 motor out, I attempted to mount the inner transom plate from the 120 to existing 1986 Rinker gimbal housing and found that the hole pattern is different. Is it possible to fill iun the transom holes and re-drill transom to fit the older 120 gimbal housing?
Q #2. The power trim wiring from the older 120 that goes thru the transom, to the gimbal housing, is frayed and needs to be replaced. Is this difficult?
Q#3 The power trim unit from the 1986 rinker is mounted off to the side. And the trim unit on the 120 is mounted to the inner transom plate. Can I elimate the older trim unit on the 120 and use the one that was in the rinker? Any help would be appreciated....Taanks Ray"

1. Yes; read up on transom re

1. Yes; read up on transom repairs.

2. It can be done; read up on it.

3. Yes; just a different model.

"thank you but Im a bit of a n

"thank you but Im a bit of a novice on this, Im just a backyard mechanic, and I think that I need a little more info than that... Any help would be appreciated. Ray"

Back