Logo

Swapping an Alphha 1 for an MR

itselliott

I have found/purchased a complete Alpha 1 from a 5.0 Merc(including the inner Transom plate and trim pump etc)

So,...the problem is this..... the boat is a 1972 SlickCraft. It has a 1972 Ford (Merc) 302 with an MR drive...that uses a 3 piece "Y" exhaust pipe... The gasket/bolt pattern is different ....(at he exhaust coupling).....the newer (alpha1) drive has a 1 pc O ring shaped somewhat like an inverted "U" and the old "Y" pipe in the boat has a 3 hole pattern for the exhaust and an offset bolt on the upper area of the flange.
Obviously, it wont work.
The question(s) I have ,....
Is there a "Y" pipe that will replace the 3 pc one currently in the boat? I would think that width at the top and overall height would be the deciding factor...
I am NOT looking for another 3 pc one mind you,...just a "fit" that will couple with my dimensions at the back of the risers and drop to the stern drive ...
THANKS !...I am hoping someone will already have done something similar....

Last edited:
Ayuh,.... Yer gonna run into more problems, if ya wanta stay with the Ford power,....

The rear motor mounts are narrower on the Alpha 1, Vs: the MC-1 transom assembly ya got there now,....

I'm also pretty sure no other y-pipe is gonna help,... thru-hulls maybe,...?

this is the comparison of the 2 different Y pipes.
I knew about the narrow motor mounts, however I also figured that I could leave the inner transom
I am wanting to learn the plate and slightly modify the 2 middle mounting points to accept the thru hull bolts.
I would like to knowthe Alpha 1 Y pipe dimensions pipe to pipe and tip of pipe to centerline. of exhaust hole at the lower unit end.

Attachments

• ford Y Pipe.jpg
    ford Y Pipe.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Alpha1  new style.jpg
    Alpha1 new style.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 24
Bondo.....question.....on the swap over.

I now have this figured out...I am able to re use the old 3 pc Y pipe.....I'll be plugging the "5th" hole, bottom center one....that solves all the mate up issues and lets me re use the Ford connection at the manifolds.

The new question is ....
I'll be using the trim system from the new transom...it is a gen 1 Alpha 1...serial #0B852474
It has the Oildyne pump with the plastic reservoir.

Does the Oildyne also use the funky reverse anti kick up stuff that is in line on the Prestolite system? or can I take all that out and hook the 2 trim hoses directly into the new pump.....( I really want to hear " yes, its not needed".....lol)
Thanks!! for any input.

Last edited:
( I really want to hear " yes, its not needed".....lol)

Ayuh,..... Ok, there ya go,....

The reverse lock is in the pump valving in all the pumps newer that yer ole set-up,...

Just use the oil lines on the plastic tank pump, right to the manifold block in the transom hopusin',....

Back