Logo

Swap tilt trim asy or just the tilt rod? Have you done it?

hairdresser100

Contributing Member
My larger diameter/length tilt rod is really leaking hydraulic fluid badly so I'm wondering if it's just as easy to replace the entire tilt trim assembly or just swap out the cap/tilt rod? Or maybe I can just loosen the leaking cap and install new seals around the tilt rod? What's the best way!?

I can only tilt my engine up about 85% then it hits the transom.

I have an extra tilt trim assembly.

The motor is a 1997 Honda BF90A.

It depends....I think you should be able to release the upper pin and lower the tilt to give you enough room to just swing the whole unit out enough to remove the rod for reseal. The limit on how much you can raise the engine may screw you over here. Also, a lot depends on how smooth the rod is. If it is corroded, then it will continue to mess up the seal, so then either transfer the rod from the extra unit or transfer the entire unit. Also, do you have the spanner wrench to remove the rod? Being that old, it might be a real struggle to loosen the cap without the right tool.

I am not sure if you will have to split the mount to take out the whole unit.

I know I have recently done some Yamahas that have the same unit and tilting it out worked great. Although I could raise the engine all the way up to get enough clearance to get the rod out.

Just my opinion.

Mike

I have access to the mercury spanner tool which looks like a giant socket. If it doesn't fit I have the sea star hydraulic spanner and if that doesn't fit I'll buy one.

My spare unit is between two mounts and it sure looks like it can swing out easily. I'll give that a shot tonight.

The rods on both look great.

Sounds like either way I go the old leaky unit has to come out and I pray it does in fact swing out easily!

What I learned tonight about the Honda BF90A tilt trim assembly.......you need to remove one of the transom mount side brackets becasue there's a collar that goes throught he bottom of the tilt assembly that extends deep into each transom mount. This means that I have to fix this leaky tilt rod while it's still ON the boat. Who's done this? Any tips?

Secondly, my spare tilt trim unit tilts but the two trim pistons don't move. I followed the Honda procedure on page 13-18 and 13-19 and it ended with disassemble and reassemble the power tilt trim assemblty. Not a good night...but my spanner wrench fit the tilt cylinder cap.

Last edited:
Second question first.....either the pistons are stuck or an internal valve is stuck.

First question.....as I said in my previous post...but maybe not in this detail.

Raise the engine as high as you can....then support it somehow ( a rope to a tree limb, a cherry picker, or even a step ladder. Just leave yourself access to the unit. Since you can not get it to the locking tabs, you have to be creative.

-Remove the c clip on the upper pin (#22 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/1997/BF90AT%20LRTA%20/POWER%20TRIM-TILT/parts.html)
-Drive the pin #11 out.
-Then swing the whole top of the unit out. Just make sure you do not damage the wires going to the trim motor. You may have to lower the tilt to clear the engine. Then extend the tilt out again to its maximum length. Loosen the cap and you should be able to pull it out. Have a drip pan or an oil drain pan under it to catch any fluid that runs out. If you can not pull it out when the cap is totally loose, hit the up button on the trim a little at a time and it should push it right out.
-Change the seals or whatever you are going to do to the rod.
-When you go to put it back in, fill up the cylinder with fluid as far as you can while still allowing for room for the piston to be reinstalled. This will make bleeding much easier later on.
-Just to everything in reverse order to get it back together.

Maybe someone else has an easier way.

Mike

The rods retract when I loosen the manual/power screw on the side and then the rods go up one at a time but that's it. They never go back down on there own. I'm not loosing sleep over this issue, the tilt parts I need to fix the leaky one look great so that's a win win!

The tilt tods cap has a factoy torque of 119 foot pounds so this isn't going to be fun removing them..... but at least they're not aluminum caps into a steel cylinder like the steering/tilt tube through the transom bracket!

Ya, will use the skidsteer to tilt the motor as high as possible and have at it. No big deal, just another day as a boat owner...50 hours of work for 5 hours of fun!

The tilt assebmly does move forward to angle the cylinder out but not by much. With the pin out I can go up another inch.....but it will be an issue. Thanks again.

Back