Logo

Suzuki DF30A 2018

Charliebravo

Hello, new to me Suzuki 30hp mounted on a Kingfisher minicat 370, the engine hasn’t been serviced for two seasons, or at least the last documented service was late 2021, and apparently…… according to the sales guy, hasn’t been used much recently, (no great confidence in that statement.)

The engine runs fine, with no hiccups farts smoke or stalls, starts easy and all seems well, but as it’s new to me , I think I will have it serviced for peace of mind.

My question for you is how does one determine the actual engine hours? (no tachometer fitted) , what service to give it seems determined by hours of use, is there a gadget to buy? or is it a trip to a Suzuki dealer to find out?
My only other line of thought is to give it a full ‘worst case’ service (at a fair cost) and just count my hours usage and keep it well maintained, my local waters have 5 to 7 knots of tidal flow, so don’t fancy a spluttering engine ……. I do have a good anchor set up, but rather avoid the drama.

I’m happy changing oils and filters, plugs and wires, but I think at around 400 hours the timing belt should be replaced, and this may be a challenge as I have only a dirt based yard to work in.

Any thoughts welcome, along with general advice on doo’s and dont’s with this engine, it’s my first outboard (apart from a 2.4hp honda on my other boats tender).

Looking forward to pearls of wisdom.

CB

Get a genuine Suzuki service manual. I believe Suzuki sells a maintenance kit for the smaller outboards, it will have everything you need at a cheaper price than buying individually.
Without a tach. you would need SDS(Suzuki Diagnostic Software) or a Suzuki shop. Not sure if you have a timing belt, the larger engines have a chain and I’d GUESS/BET you have a timing change.

Thanks for your reply, yes a workshop service manual is on the shopping list.
I might just have to pop along to the dealers and get it plugged in, and find what they would charge for a full service, and if it’s outrageous , then after a manual read, get the spanner’s out .

Second question, flushing muffs, are they a must have, or will flushing with the supplied hose fitting and doing a non running flush be as good?
Salt water usage.

CB

DO NOT USE THE FLUSH PORTS WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING, EVER. Your owners manual will tell you the same thing only in lower case letters. Use a barrel or muffs, with a barrel make sure your water pump is totally submerged plus 3”-4”. With muffs make sure they fit over the water intake completely and you have enough domestic water pressure. My DF-90A works fine with muffs yet my 9.9 Honda the water intake is bigger that the Suzuki’s and slightly bigger than the muffs so I have to use a barrel with the Honda.
The routine maintenance isn’t that difficult, the water pump is the most complicated part and it’s not that bad. A GENUINE Suzuki service manual will walk you thru the procedure. Being a salt water engine I’d suggest you pull the lower unit off yearly to grease the top of the splined drive shaft and shift shaft. Honda recommends replacing the water pump at 100 hours or yearly, I push mine(fresh water) every 3-4 years with 60-80 hours and I change the entire water pump not just the impeller.

Back