Logo

Suzuki DF20 start after 3 years sitting

dkjensen

I have had my 2020 DF20 suzuki sitting in my garage the past few years, this morning I decided to do some maintenance (oil change, gear lube) and try and fire it up.

Well it is unable to start. I checked the spark on the plugs and they are fine, and when checking the fuel I noticed I did not drain all the fuel out before storage. The fuel has been sitting for 3 years...

I drained the fuel that was still in the system by pulling the pink hose and letting that drain, and then connected the tank with fresh fuel in it. Still won't start.

At a loss as to what to check next. It is electric start, basically just keeps cranking but never fires up.

Plug wires on correct cylinder ?-----The motor should bark and roar with a bit of fuel in the cylinders.----Then I would say that you have no spark.-----Or very weak spark !

I checked for spark earlier, it was present. Going to grab new plugs anyways as they did have some carbon build up on them, will report back in a couple of hours.

Try starting it one more time before you pull the plugs then check the plugs for fuel. I’m guessing 3 years of sitting with fuel has gummed up something. Drain the VST if you haven’t already.

Ok replaced spark plugs and put some more fuel in the spark plugs and it fired up for a quick second. Seems like there a clog somewhere and fuel is not moving throughout

@William01 Not seeing an obvious drain. Where would I find the VST and drain you are referencing?

Part #1 is the drain screw. Collect the contents so you can check for water/dirt. Same with part #35, drain and collect the contents. What does the fuel look like, I’m GUESSING the fuel will be an amber colour perhaps a dark amber colour? The engine might fire with 3 year old fuel just not run worth a crap ASSUMING no water in the fuel. Check your owners manual for long term storage, might give you a procedure to drain the fuel from the system then start with fresh fuel.

Your setup is different then mine(2009 DF90A) so I don’t know how much help I’ll be. All I can suggest is to go thru the fuel system one component at a time looking for a blockage.
I’d start with the fuel filter, when you squeeze the primer bulb is fuel being delivered to the fuel filter? If yes then is fuel getting past the low pressure fuel pump?(part #24) If the low pressure fuel pump is working then you should have fuel to part #27. From part #27 fuel goes into the vapour separator assembly… I’m just following the above link tracing the fuel flow. A couple of points I want to make. Your low pressure fuel pump is mechanical so you will need to crank the engine to check for fuel discharge. Your high pressure pump could/should be electrical but the diagram doesn’t show any contacts where a power source would plug in to power the high pressure pump.(part #2). Somewhere in your fuel system there might/should be a float after the high pressure pump, the diagram doesn’t show a breakdown of the individual components so I’m a bit confused of where the float would be. Some parts my not be serviceable.

Sorry I can’t be more help. A genuine Suzuki service manual would have your fuel system and troubleshooting procedures all laid out in a much better form than me guessing off a parts diagram.

You didn’t mention the condition of the fuel that you drained.

Back