Logo

Suzuki DF 40 ATL from 2020 doesn't start

charmilles

Hello together,
I have a Suzuki DF 40 engine from 2020 and could need your help. The engine has around 100h and the engine stopped running. Now I can’t start it anymore.

The starter can turn the engine freely and has ignition and compression. Oil looks clear and good. A mechanic had also a short look and couldn’t find a solution neither. We checked several parts:

• Starter runs and works, there is electricity.
  • Ignition seems okay: ignition coils and plugs are ok, there are sparks…..
  • There is fuel from EFI...
  • Compression is ok on the engine
  • ECU is okay, was checked by Suzuki importeur
  • Crankshaft and Camshaft sensors are ok, checked by by Suzuki importeur
  • MAP sensor is okay, checked by by Suzuki importeur
  • Throttle is okay, checked by by Suzuki importeur
  • Temperature sensor is okay , checkecked by by Suzuki importeur
I will put the engine next week on an engine stand and will start again a proper diagnosis. It's really weird, because I have spark, fuel and compression.... It would be great, if I could get some help from you…. I don’t have access to diagnosis tool yet…..

Thanks a lot for your comments! All tips and hints are appreciated....

Drain the VST into a clear container and look for water in the fuel. I’m assuming your plugs are wet based on your comment “Their is fuel from the EFI”?

Hello,
thanks a lot for the feedback. I put the engine from the boat and put it on a stand. I drained the VST. So far it looked good, there was some water. ...

But I checked again the oil stick and the oil was milky.... doens't looked great for me. I will do again a compression test, followed by a leak down test.

3 year old engine one would think/hope water in oil is not from a catastrophic failure. Water in the VST could be from phase separation or bad fuel you purchased. A thermostat stuck open could cause condensation forming in the oil.

Thanks for your feedback William….

Let’s hope it isn't a catastrophic damage. I have already taken the engine from the boat and will work on a engine stand. I guess, it’s end of my summer season… :confused:
  • Thermostat: I checked it and it wasn’t open and or very dirty. It looks fine for me...
  • VST had just some water
  • Leak down test with cold engine: cylinder 1 = 5%, cylinder 2 = 8-10%, cylinder 3 = 5%...
  • I drained the engine oil, it was quite milky, not great....
In addition to that I also checked the cylinders with a borescope and it appears ok.
  • There were normal carbon build ups, no scratches, proper cross cuts from facory honing. You can see where the piston are running, it looks quite normal.
  • There seems some slight suface rust on the bottom of cylinder.
  • Cylinder No 2 is a little bit different. It's cleaner than the other cylinders. On the half you could see shiny aluminium.... there is less carbon build up.

Thanks for the feedback!

So far I know, it wasn’t overheated, but I can’t say it for guarantee. Some family members are also using the boat… Personal I have some doubts. 😊

During the leak down test, I can’t hear unnormal noise. I can’t hear any leak around the cylinder head gasket and also check with soapy water, nothing extraordinary. The value of cylinder 2 seem still okay, it’s just a little bit higher. It could be higher, when the motor is warm and used, but this I can’t check anymore. The values are quite good for a cold engine….

If you have spark and fuel to the plugs it should fire or at least want to run. Wonder if you still have water in the fuel system somewhere that is preventing the spark plugs from igniting the fuel. Could there be water in the fuel tank? When you put the key to run(not start) can you hear the high pressure fuel pump running for 3 seconds? Have you tried running Seafoam or a similar product through the tank? Try draining the VST again, see if you still have water. Any water in the low pressure fuel filter? Do you have access to a portable fuel tank with fresh fuel that you could try?

Back