Logo

Suzuki 2008 115 hp fourstroke overheading problem

cpteich

I have my boat/motor in Cabo San Lucas Mex and have 230 hours on it. At approx 200 hours, I noticed at Idle the Temp light would illuminate and the engine would die. I immediately changed the water pump (impeller) and put her back in the water. I had the same issue. The water pump is working and there is water peeing out of the rear of the motor. I bought the motor in Costa Mesa Ca and there is not an authorized Suzuki dealership/mechanic in Cabo. I talked to a local mechanic at the place I bought the engine and he told me to replace the temp sensors on the motor. I did that last week and the motor is still dying. I was running the motor at near full throttle for 10-15 seconds when the temp light illuminated and kicked the motor into safemode idle. That was the first time that had ever happened.... Someone suggested a new Thermostat. Any ideas would be appreciated! I always flush my motor with freshwater after every use..... Just FYI

Re: Suzuki 2008 115 fourstroke overheading problem

do thermos stats and then check the poppet valve

where in cabo are you

If you use a non-contact IR thermometer to shoot the head beside the thermostat you can determine if in fact the engine temp. is high. It should be in the 145* to 155* range. If it is higher it could be the thermostat or some obstruction in the cooling system. Be sure the water intake screen is clean, as it is so fine it can easily plug up.

This engines are having big problems with the cylinder head a lot of salt stays in there and then is getting blocked from salt and to repair this you must to open the head.....big job i hope is not this!!

Hi All,

I have a Suzuki DF300 (2012 with only 150 hrs) that keeps throwing up an overheat alarm at idle and various RPM. Suzuki dealer has had it and done Thermo's, impeller, engine flush, head gasket. and is now saying that i may be in for a new engine because there was a slight dip in the block when the head gasket was removed (very very small dip). i have been reading about the Poppet valve...could this be the issue???

Hi,

Yes, we have one the head Gasket. Apparently there was a very small dip in the block but nothing major. We have done the thermostats, checked for blockages and even done an acid rinse. Poppet valve looked ok on inspection but apparently there is a know issue with them o i have got the engineer to replace today....hoping it will fix it

Hi

yes, the port bank was running at 215 which is really hot. Done all the other things you suggested and the poppet vale is the last thing to do...it looked OK on inspection but apparently there is a known issue with them. Also, given that the overheat only happens at 800rpm and at flat out i am leaning towards the poppet valve...hopefully!

Back