Logo

Suggestions Sending my carbs to Cliff

tbrodes

Regular Contributor
"Just sent cliff an email to s

"Just sent cliff an email to see what he says about my carbs. I am going to get them re-worked/rebuilt by him. No way am I going to mess with this.

What should I ask him to do? My boat current WOT is 4400, but I am going to get some prop work done to bring it down to roughly 4000-4200 (upper end prolly).

So any and all suggestions, or what you have done to your carbs. Just want to compare to what he says!!!"

"Ted:

does it do 4400 bagge

"Ted:

does it do 4400 bagged out or empty? If it does it empty, I'd leave the props alone. Bagged out, mine will do 4100 on a cool morning.

As far as the carbs, I'd be more inclined to tell him what you want the end result to be as well as tell him how you use the boat.

In my case, I reset the floats, lower, to 3/8". That may or may not help your install. I've also tweaked the secondary to come on as late as possible. On the primary side, I recalibrated the power system to be off until I exceed cruise.

Things on the list bad haven't been completed yet: add idle bypass air (must do for big blocks) and tweak the idle tubes (I'm confident 0.037 is enough for the big blocks). Also, plan to dial in the primaries - jets and rods are on the rich side so the rods can get fatter, maybe two sizes and the jet will shrink. Again, this is install driven and will vary will hull, mass, etc.

If you have vacuum vs RPM data from this summer, I'd bet it would help.

Bushing the shafts is a good idea, too. "

"3/4 tank and the boat leaped

"3/4 tank and the boat leaped up to 4400...and i could have let it build a bit more....I need to get the props cleaned up anyway...if its big$$$ to tweak, forggutta'bout it...I have to get them balanced and a little pitting taken care of...

As for the carbs, thanks for the tips Mark! Adding air for sure was on top of my list. A buddy who own a Bertram 33 said the same thing about idle tubes... .037!

Interesting on the floats. Anyone else?"

"Ted:

how is your consumpti

"Ted:

how is your consumption at cruise? Not only the value but is it steady or varying?

I found lowering the floats eliminated the weep at the accelerator ports and cut down on the variation shown on the floscan at cruise, especially with a lot of swell."

"I dont have flow scans, but a

"I dont have flow scans, but a crude 2 season analysis comes up with about 3300 being the sweet spot with an average of about .95-1.1 mpg....pretty reliably. My boat is not that deep of a V, really steep forefoot but a barrel like transom (compare to ocean henriques). not the best into a dead on head sea, like a blackfin, but stable as hell on the drift (like a henriques). But buddy has the 28 henriques with yanmars (slick rig) and into 3's, we can both comfortably do 18-20 knots"

"on the other hand, my buddy w

"on the other hand, my buddy with a 29 blackfin combi with gassers (runs em HARD) 3600 rpm he slices through the 3's at 24-25 knots, however, he is rocking like mad on the tuna grounds, and boozin at the beach!"

"and I bet in a couple more ye

"and I bet in a couple more years he won't be standing straight because his back will be hurting...

without the flow gauges, you can't see the effect I did unless you run the boat and do a visual. I bet I've seen the issue on at least half that I've inspected. You'd be amazed at how much fuel can be drawn thru those two holes.."

"no kidding. I fish a GBT tour

"no kidding. I fish a GBT tourny in october on his boat...if we simply slowed down 2 knots it would have been nice on the knees, back, and ENGINES!

Mark, I am going to talk to cliff and do what you have done with lowering the floats. Cannot hurt and will def. help from weeping during swell. I am getting really excited. The boat is becoming exactly what I wanted!"

"Mark, how did you 'tweak&

"Mark, how did you 'tweak' your secondary? heres what cliff said about delaying...

"The only way to delay the secondary opening is to use longer linkages from late model truck carbs, which allow more throttle opening on the primary side before the secondaries apply. We've have to strip two shafts for the parts during the rebuilds. Not sure how much it would help""

"That is a major mod, not a tw

"That is a major mod, not a tweak. I wanted to mmake sure I could keep 3200 with just the primaries open. What Cliff is talking about is delaying the secondary throttle plate opening. I delayed the operation of the secondary system.

The secondary throttle plates will open long before that systems starts. I controlled mine with the air valve spring and the rod hanger. A longer hanger keeps the fat part of the rod in its jet for mmore air valve opening. The air valve spring, in conjunction with the vacuum break, control when the air valve opens. Until it opens, fuel doesn't flow from the secondaries."

just sent my q-jets to cliffs

just sent my q-jets to cliffs last week with all my info.did alot of research and question asking and he seemed to be the man to do it.tried new edlebrocks and was very disappointed. i'm very anxious to get mine back and running.

..."tried new Edlebrocks a

..."tried new Edlebrocks and was very disappointed."

Really? You're the first person to say that. What was their problem(s)?

Jeff

"<font color=""0000ff"">just s

"<font color=""0000ff"">just sent my q-jets to cliffs last week with all my info.did alot of research and question asking and he seemed to be the man to do it</font><font color=""000000"">

I did the same about two weeks ago...after conferring with one of the forum members who also highly recommended him.

Based on his reputation I would say we both did a good thing!!!</font>"

Back