Logo

Submerged motor question

"I have been posting about som

"I have been posting about some electrical issues that I was having on my 2004 175 Johnson. My trim/tilt stopped working and tried jumping and nothing, tapped with hammer and working ever since. Just had the starter replaced!! Mechanic said it was frozen. When I spoke to other Mechanic he said that was highly unlikely due to the copper windings, unless a brush was bad. I am taking it with a grain of salt, however he said maybe the engine was sub-merged?? The engine was put on a older boat after the original one quit. I did buy the boat from a 79 yr old guy and who has been dealing with the marina for 25yrs. Hard to believe they would sell him now me a sub-merged motor(never know). Other than these issues the motor runs great!! Can I reference it from the serial# like you do on a Car for insurance reasons?? Thank in advance.

Chris"

"Chris, there is a couple of s

"Chris, there is a couple of services where you can track a boat or a motor the same way you can look up a car by it's VIN and get a printout.

But only if it has been filed through an insurance claim that has then input the information. I know of a couple of guys who have used (boathistoryreport.com). Basically cost them 35 bucks to get a report that said (this boat) was mfg by "x" in 1999, no incidents reported...."

Back