Logo

stuck lower unit

baitboy

i have
a 2012 4 stroke vtech honda outboard 90 hp. It has the extra long shaft. I can not get the lower unit off. Tried everything heat , cold , force, pentrating oil. will not budge. all 5 nuts are off the studs. Any ideas? I has a extension on the lower unit making it a long shaft

Last edited:
You are in a world of pain, obviously not serviced, I've seen this before. Only way you are going to get it off is to cut the studs with a angle grinder on the spacer side. Then remove all the bits , buy a new spacer and studs, then after greasing the studs really well, reassemble. Goid luck

It may be just the 2 locating dowels leading to your frustration. They'll stick pretty good on occasion. If looking down at the top of the motor, they're located at about 12:30 and 7:00 o'clock. All you need to do is to get them to budge, from there they generally release completely. I've generally never had to rely on anything more than a plastic dead blow hammer to do that. Just make sure whatever you're whacking on is sturdy. It would be a shame to have to weld a fin back on.

Just a thought, but a Stanly knife blade encouraged to enter that joint near the pin locations might leave a little ridge, but that ridge could easily be filed smooth prior to reassembly.

There's also the dynamite solution if you get too frustrated. Doesn't help or fix a thing, but you feel SO much better afterward.....

Alan,he's dealing with 5 5" studs through a 5 inch spacer, they get packed full of salt if they are not removed , cleaned and greased on an annual basis.

Yup, been there, and not saying that's not a distinct possibility. I was just adding the potential for those locating dowels to stick, and they aren't nearly as difficult to break loose. -Al

Another thought that might help. I've converted those 25" motors to 20" on a couple of occasions, which requires removal of these studs (among other things/no fun). Easily done -IF- you heat up the case in the area of the stud with a propane torch. Think red Loctite or something similar. End of stud is double nutted, and generally they back out without too much difficulty. The key is heating that aluminum up. Generally not enough to burn the paint off, but pretty hot!

Thinking here, you may luck out and get a couple of those studs removed, making getting that lower unit off a LITTLE easier?

Back