Logo

Stuck Head Bolt

sparky344

"All but one head bolt is givi

"All but one head bolt is giving me a hard time.

I'm using an 18" breaker (1/2") with another 18" of pipe and I've broken (1) socket, (2) 1/2"-3/8" adapters (one craftsman, one kobalt), and another black impact 1/2"-3/8" adapter.

First adapter broke so I put a socket on the bolt and hit it 10 times with a hammer, 2nd adapter broke and I heated it for 5 minutes with a torch and tried again, broke the 'heavy duty' craftsman impact adapter.

Now what? Will 1/2" socket be any different?"

"Ayuh,...... Get Rid of the 3/

"Ayuh,...... Get Rid of the 3/8ths Sockets,+ use 1/2" drive.......

And,......... Get a Longer Cheater Pipe........"

"If it's a six point bolt.

"If it's a six point bolt... use a six point 1/2" drive socket... they tend to be a good bit beefier than the twelve points. Plus with a higher quality (Snap-on) socket, the six point sockets grab the flats (sides) of the fastener instead of the edges; a lot less likely to round it off."

"Thanks everyone for your inpu

"Thanks everyone for your input, will ugprade all sockets to 1/2" and give it another shot.

I was thinking about buying the Craftsman impact set of 1/2" but since the regular set is about half the price with the same unlimited break warranty is it really worth it?"

"Impact sockets are made out o

"Impact sockets are made out of a much harder, high carbon, steel alloy. They are stronger than standard sockets, which are typically a low carbon, steel alloy, usually plated with nickel, zinc, and/or chromium to make them shiny and a little more corrosion resistant.
I'd give the regular 1/2" drive socket a shot, since you need a set of those anyway. If it breaks, Sears will give you a new one, then buy just the size impact socket you need for this job.
If that doesn't get it, time to move to more destructive measures... cutting, drilling, etc."

"Try to find an "impact dr

"Try to find an "impact driver" (this is not an airpowered tool). They have either 3/8 or 1/2 shank built into a cam/spring holding body. You set them for the direction you want them to turn, hold tightly, and HIT with a hammer. AMAZING ability to loosen almost anything. Do a google, or search on SnapOn, Matco, Mac, Lysle, OTC tool company sites.

If it's accessable use a boxend wrench (with plenty of cheater handle) and have buddy HIT it with hammer. Notice I am shouting hit,, pecking won't ger er done.

Bob"

"Casey

Try taking a small p

"Casey

Try taking a small plastic bag, cut one corner out of it and stick the head of the bolt through it, tape it down then fill the bag with oil or a rust cutting agent, diesel fuel works good. Let it sit for a day or to. Next use the hand impact tool as mentioned above or a 1/2 air drive impact wrench. Impact will free this not a long slow pull. A long breaker bar will twist it off ,your better off with impact."

"Thanks for all the advice. I

"Thanks for all the advice. I bought a 1/2" set of sockets, didn't snap anymore pieces but didn't get the bolt off either.

I've been spraying it with PB Blast for the last two nights.

Will buy a hand impact tool and give it another wack."

Just get yourself a LONGER Che

Just get yourself a LONGER Cheater Bar/Pipe........

A 4 footer will do it........ an 8 footer will Break your new bigger socket set.....

"Get the impact driver! As Cap

"Get the impact driver! As Capt. Myers says Impact will break it free, long bar steady pull will break it OFF!

Bob"

"Am I reading this right? &#34

"Am I reading this right? "ALL, but 1 head bolt are being troublesome?" This being the case: Mega Air-impact! (Only for REMOVAL though!) Geez, good luck with this one! BTW, have you started the exhaust manifolds yet?

Scott"

"Yup, every last bolt except o

"Yup, every last bolt except one. Manifolds are off, oil pan is off, crank is out, bearings removed. Have the block, pistons, head and one stubborn bolt.

3/28/2006 - Update ... bought 1/2" socket and borrowed 3/8" impact, hit with 3lb. hammer ... still stuck. Will buy a 1/2" impact and use hammer again. If it still doesn't come off I'm taking it to a garage and will let them do their magic."

"Finally broke loose!

Heate

"Finally broke loose!

Heated the bottom of the bolt where it goes into the block for 20 minutes, it spun loose like butter with very little effort. Used an 18" breaker with a 1/2" x 3/4" socket.

I was applying heat in the wrong place. This was a great learning experience, thank you for all the helpful suggestion."

"My experience with Craftsman

"My experience with Craftsman tools is that they are made for yuppies. I've been turning wrenches for 12 years and have broken countless Craftstman tools because they don't seem to be made for use by real mechanics. Try Mack, Snap-on or Matco in the future for tough jobs - Craftsman doesn't hold up!"

Back