Logo

Strange noise in 5.7

spook5365

I have a 5.7 liter 250 w/ about 600 hours, fresh water cooled. Was out all day yesterday with excellent running. On the way in I kept having to power up and down quite a bit due to rough water conditions. I had six on the boat, and everyone was siiting on the stern seats on the way in. (In other words, badly trimmed). On one of my last times to increase throttle I heard a reasonably loud and repeated "ticking" as I seemed to give it gas and possibly but not entirely sure a lack of response. Tried again and heard same. I moved all to proper seats and did not hear this again and seemed problem free but also I was pretty much near mouth of channel so could n't really power up that much any more.. I also went back to boat after several hours away last night, started up, warmed up, and revved engine but did not get a repaet. Any guesses for me on what where I should look for or check? Thanks in advance.

I have a 5.7 liter 250 w/ about 600 hours, fresh water cooled. Was out all day yesterday with excellent running. On the way in I kept having to power up and down quite a bit due to rough water conditions. I had six on the boat, and everyone was siiting on the stern seats on the way in. (In other words, badly trimmed). On one of my last times to increase throttle I heard a reasonably loud and repeated "ticking" as I seemed to give it gas and possibly but not entirely sure a lack of response. Tried again and heard same. I moved all to proper seats and did not hear this again and seemed problem free but also I was pretty much near mouth of channel so could n't really power up that much any more.. I also went back to boat after several hours away last night, started up, warmed up, and revved engine but did not get a repaet. Any guesses for me on what where I should look for or check? Thanks in advance.

could be lifter noise or pinging engine under a heavy load for a good amount of time..

If there was a lot of weight on the engine doghouse that could have caused the top of it to press down on the flame arrestor/engine while it was vibrating...thus a noise.

This is just a guess.... but what if the engine was angled back so much for awhile that oil was not able to get everywhere it was supposed to for a little bit? And the noise you hear was metal on metal grinding.

The motor would have to be almost upside down for no oil to get to the top. Oil pickup is in the back of the pan.

Now if you told be he was way down on oil in the pan thats another story.

You have a auto bilge pump, could it be that ? See i think you may have had water seeping in the vents maybe that vent the motor, seen that before, bunch a fat people sitting in the back oblivious to everything.

Driver is in la la land .

Don't worry about it could have also been some seaweed wrapped around the prop.

Back