Logo

Strange fuel issue BF225

Nick392

2004 BF225 with 1000 hrs. serviced by Honda certified mechanic every 100 hours. Here is the issue on a typical weekend. Drop the boat in on Friday night, starts right up no problem. Warm it up and then run 1 mile to house, no problem. Saturday morning starts right up, runs all day no problems. Sunday starts up again all day no problem. At the end of the day I wash the interior of the boat at the dock. I then start the 1 mile trek to the ramp by myself. As the boat warms up idling in gear, I get all the lines put away. As I power up to get on plane, my fuel flow meter will peg to 24 GPH and the engine will stall. I can hear the fuel pump humming and the fuel flow meter will stay above 20 GPH. After pumping primer ball several times the fuel meter will slowly fall to 0 GPH. I can then start the motor and run to ramp with no problems. My wife was skeptical of why this only happens when I'm on the boat alone. The last time out on the boat I took my Son (18) with me as a witness that I'm not crazy. My mechanic is stumped as to why it only seems to happen after washing the boat. All fuel hoses have been changed along with all filters. The VST filter is new along with the fuel sending unit. All service bulletins have been done. The primer ball is new and there seems to be no leaks causing air in the system. The problem is frustrating because it only happens as I explained. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My wife's joke now is that the boat has to be dry cleaned!! Thanks in advance Nick

You know I have to say it.....just do not clean your boat.

Seriously....what do you move around when you clean the boat? Do you move fuel lines? Move the fuel squeeze bulb?

Is it possible that in moving things, that a connection in your fuel line allows air to get into the system and you start sucking air? Then after you squeeze the fuel bulb, you laying it down in the "standard" place that you always put it and things seal up? Maybe, the fuel bulb itself is suspect? Did you get a good bulb (not a Walmart special?)? A small split or cut in the hose?

You did mention that all fuel lines have been changed....but maybe one is loose or not connected properly.

You did not say if it happened with your son in the boat.....What about the way the boat sits in the water with one person vs more than one? That may affect how the fuel tank pickup is getting the fuel.

Not having any experience with fuel flow sensors.....do they indicate flow if there is only air flowing through them?

I know I have more questions than potential answers, but I think the solution will arise as you become a Sherlock Holmes and observe all the details of the changes. "Leave no stone unturned". The answer will probably be one simple thing.

There...I got some thoughts going.....hopefully others will jump in.

Mike

Several things come to mind.

Generally it sounds like you are getting either air or water in your fuel lines.

As Mike suggested, go through all of the connections in the fuel line to make sure they are tight and there are no leaks.

It is possible that when you are washing down your boat you are getting water in the fuel tank breather tube, clogging it temporarily. Next time you do the cleaning, put a piece of tape over the breather outlet until you are finished, then make sure you remove it before making the run to the ramp.

It's also possible that you have a partially clogged fuel tank breather tube. Run a long piece of monofilament from a string cleaner down through the hole into your fuel tank.

I assume that you have an external fuel/water separator installed. When is the last time it was drained? When is the last time that the filter was changed?

Also drain and check your internal fuel/water separator. I don't think that the 2004 ones had the water sensor, so if there is water in the onboard fuel water separator bowl, you need to remove the bowl and take a look.

Just some guesses...

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. I am under the same assumption that air and or some water is getting in somewhere. I will keep looking for a cause and post back. A bit frustrating but I'm sure we'll figure it out. Hopefully before my wife commits me :cool:

Back