Logo

Stop switch/lanyard retro-fit to '81 J5?

I have an '81 J5RCIC and want to replace the existing kill switch with a safety lanyard type switch.

Looking through the parts diagrams I see that 1987 was the first year for these, any idea if the new switch would fit?

Any other solution? Aftermarket?

Model #J5RCIC is indeed a 4.5hp Johnson.

The parts manual is a 1987 what? Trying to get a idea of what this kill switch you speak of looks like.

A kill switch would normally connect (on a power-pack equipped engine) between the Black/Yellow wire (kill circuit) and a ground. If a lanyard equipped kill switch, having the land-yard yanked OFF would ground and kill the ignition.

That kill switch 398692 has a ridiculous price of approximately $115 on it! Those people have got to be out of their mind!

Any two wire kill switch at a fraction of that price, wired as follows, would do the job.

A kill switch would normally connect (on a power-pack equipped engine) between the Black/Yellow wire (kill circuit) and a ground. A lanyard equipped kill switch, having the land-yard yanked OFF would ground and kill the ignition.
41NbYxvxJKL._AC_US200_.jpg

[h=2]Sierra MP28870 Emergency Cut-Off Switch[/h]
$13.72 [SUP]$[/SUP] 13 [SUP]72[/SUP] Prime
Only 19 left in stock - order soon.

Last edited:
Any idea if those generic switches push to stop as well like the OEM ones?

I'd hate to have to pull the clip out every time I want to kill the engine.

Last edited:

I just assumed that you wanted to rig a kill switch to kill the engine in case you fell overboard.

Any 2 wire push button switch would do the job BUT you need to be aware of which ones would put up with the water spray.... That aspect I have no idea about.

Yes they do. I have a ‘79 evinrude 9.9 that only had a push button kill switch. I replaced it with a generic kill switch/lanyard and you can push in the button to stop the engine.

KJ

Yes they do. I have a ‘79 evinrude 9.9 that only had a push button kill switch. I replaced it with a generic kill switch/lanyard and you can push in the button to stop the engine.

KJ

Sweet! Got a part no., link, manufacturer, any of the above? :p

Did it directly replace the existing switch or did you have to make it work?

Just to update an old thread, hopefully this helps someone.

I got one of the cheap kill switches, it would have worked but to fit it in the handle would be a PITA. Good news is the newer switch part # 0398692 drops right in. They're pricey but I found one a little cheaper on FleeBay.

20180420_110718_resized.jpg

20180420_115232_resized.jpg

20180420_115304_resized.jpg

Back