Logo

Stop/Kill Switch Question

mill686

Regular Contributor
I have replaced all electronics on my 1984 Mercury 50HP (4-Cyl) #64871**. After having done so, and the outboard working fine, I have had 2 occasions where she would just crank. I had seen somewhere before that mentioned removing the black/yellow wire from the switchbox as a diagnostic tool and seeing if the outboard would start. This I did, and she cranked right over. I have heard two different things as a result of this test: 1) the stop switch is bad and 2) the switchbox is bad. It is a new switchbox. I replaced the stop switch and it seemed fine. I was out this morning. It ran and started fine. Went to go back out this afternoon, and she just cranked...until I removed the black/yellow wire again. What keeps making the kill switch fail? I use 12V 25A toggles. My unregulated outboard puts out 17.6 volts at WOT. Am I missing something here? Thanks, Greg

I leave the toggle on with the lanyard in place. Yes, on/off type. Mercury switch was already taken out of the equation prior to me owning it.

No...I'm sorry for not knowing. One more thing, this switch is exposed to weather. I have purchasd the heavy-duty marine-grade switches. They, however, are not pvc coated or potted. Could this be an issue? Could they have water intrusion and be shorting out?

Let me try to understand this. The black/yellow wire comes off the switch box and goes the the engine-side wiring harness. It travels to one side of the stop switch. Theoretically, the other side has the black/yellow that goes to the ignition. In my case, I believe there are 2 wires spliced ttogether (black/yellow and another). I will check color tomorrow. But. Should only the black yellow be connected from the ignition?

The following is how it is wired. I replaced all wiring, but did it just as it was from the previous owner. After looking at it now...could I just go BLACK to BLACK and have only the BLACK/YELLOW from the ignition going to one post on the toggle and the BLACK/YELLOWfrom the wiring harness go to the other? Seems to make sense, but then again, I am no outboard electronics wiz. ign.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I did put another marine-grade toggle in that I had lying around today and it is fine. I packed the cylindrical toggle housing with electrical grease to help keep water out. Would a simple toggle boot work?

Back