Logo

Sterndrive noise while turning

SDSF

1986 Mercruiser sterndrive on the port side of my boat is making a sound whenever I turn the wheel. If going straight, no sound. Turning left seems a little worse than turning right. The sound is a little more than a rattle but not quite a loud clunk (somewhere in between). Almost didnt even notice it, but after a few turns I started wondering what that extra noise was. As far as I can tell it is coming from around the drive somewhere. I did not test to see if it still did this when it was not in gear. Mechanic went thru and greased gimbal and ujoints and everything this week before putting the boat in the water, he said they all looked fine when he was putting everything back together... any ideas?

Something must not be fine then. Was there water in the bellow at the end of season.
Can be U joints or gimbal bearing. need to pull the drive and inspect

Something must not be fine then. Was there water in the bellow at the end of season.
Can be U joints or gimbal bearing. need to pull the drive and inspect

Thanks for the response. That was my first thought but if everything looked good what could be the cause? Is there anything else that could cause this noise?
Thanks again!

Simply greasing the gimbal bearing is not "fine"

The bearing should be checked by sticking two fingers through inner race and spinning with hand. If there is any rough bearing feeling..........replace.

Most but not all noises when turning are the gimbal bearing. Does it make the noise when engine is NOT running? If not then That would dictate bearing or u-joints

Back