Logo

Sterndrive installationalignment 87 cobra

bob_finch

"Pulled the sterndrive off an

"Pulled the sterndrive off an 87 cobra, 3.0l. Got the shifting issue resolved, but can't get the sterndrive mounted. I get to the point of the u-joint coupler meeting the bellows, but can't get it any further. The u-joints still spin, so I don't think the splines are engaging yet. I don't have an alignment tool, but only thought they were needed if the engine or transom was removed. There were no issues with this prior to removing the outdrive, so do I still need the alignment tool?

I'm hoisting the sterndrive with an eye-bolt, to a ladder, with some climbing gear, so it's not quite as mobile as a cherry-picker, but I'm still thinking it should work.

Pretty sure I've trashed the gasket, so I'll need another one.

My wife said I had to stop for the night because she was afraid my young boys would learn some new words they've never heard.

Any suggestions?"

"You should check your alignme

"You should check your alignment especially if it hasn't been done for a while, things change, engine mounts can compress although it doesn't sound like you are at the coupler yet, put some grease on the u-joints to make slide in the bellows easier."

"Posted on Monday, July 28, 20

"Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 11:15 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Bob. I had triple guarded the rim of the bellows and put Moly grease on the coupler.

So if I read between the lines, the process of putting the shaft back in shouldn't be that difficult. Is that correct.

If so, it makes me suspect the alignment, since it was kind of difficult to get it out, even after the gasket seal was broken.

Thanks,"

Back