Logo

Stern Drive Exhaust Seal

the_tassie_devil

Regular Contributor
G'day all,

I have been trying to purchase a replacement Seal for my Electric Shift Stringer OMC Stern Drive, and cannot seem to locate one anywhere.

The Seal I am after is the one between the Upper Gearcase Housing, and the Exhaust Housing.

That is Seal No. 32 in the attached picture.

Mine is leaking exhaust gases, and cooling overflow water and that is making a bit of a mess at the stern of the boat.

This Seal has to seal whilst the leg is turning left and right. (It is a circular seal, but oddly shaped, so an "O" Ring won't work)

Anyone out there that might have a new one for sale, or know of a place that has them? Or know the Part Number for it?

Thanks,

Bruce.

Attachments

• Image 040-1024.jpg
    Image 040-1024.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 90
Bruce I think # 38 below is the same part just a different pic. It's PN 308596 (seal, exhaust housing) and is available from shop.evinrude.com for a whopping $45.80 CAD

exhaust seal.jpg

G'day Boatin_bob,

Thanks to your supplied Part Number, I have just purchased one off ebay with a "Buy-it-now" price of US$18.30, and have had to send it to New York, as the seller will only send to internal USA, and then will have it on-sent to me.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Bruce.

Then after you install it look on the front of the drive, you will see a hole and a zerk fitting in it. Shoot it with 5 squirts of grease.

G'day Chief'

I found it behind the plastic plug that I didn't realise was it was for, and may I ask what this Grease Nipple feeds? And how often should I do the greasing? Plus, use the special Marine Grease?

Thanks,

Bruce.

PS. I love finding new things, but hope I haven't damaged anything by not greasing it.

You may have not needed to spend the 18 bucks that seals the exhaust. Ask before you spend, next time i'll give you the real info.

which #32 we talking about, TD?

there's two or more 32's in your pic, and I can't see Bob's pic

I wonder if you ordered the right thing

Oh man, I hope I have the right part. But, when I was assembling the unti initially, I thought of using an "O" Ring, but the old seal was a totally different profile, so I thought it must be something special. I did manage to purchase a new Exhaust Ring that seals the Leg from the Intermediate Housing. The one with the steel wire retainer to stop it falling out when the leg is raised.

Bruce.

PS. I would love the real Info Chief.

Sorry...here's a bigger pic

exhaustseal.png

You bought it already, i have 2 in my basement i would have sent you one for free.

The zerk seals the exhaust. There are grates under the drive, you saw them ? no way to stop water from coming from there.

Yep, but US$18.30 is better than paying C$45.80 though.

Thanks Chief'

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and if I had more, I would be rich. ha ha.

My problem is that the water is splashing out through the seal, so if water is coming out, so is the exhaust gas, and I like a "quiet" engine if that is possible. Unless it is a blown V8, then there can never be enough noise.

Bruce.

Back