Logo

Steering Cable

pharlap

Geez I'm having a great week.

My boats been up on blocks for the best part of this year while I completely stripped back and re firbed the trailer.

The boats been back on the trailer about a month now I'm starting to get a few maintenance things done that I wanted with it, and now the steering wheel as well as the outboard wont turn.

I cant have it that the cable has siezed as a month ago when the boat went back onto the trailer the motor was serviced for the 2nd time since I've had it in 12 months (I know overkill)

What can I do guys, i've read up about disconnecting the steering arm, and belting the cable arm end to loosen it, i've seen posts about heating up the sleeve arm.

I no tradie, I'm handy though.

What can I do guys ?

Disconnect the arm and see if the engine or the cable is seized. If the cable is the problem, replace it, you are going to damage the cable end while trying to loosen it. Depending on the Hull you may have to remove the engine to get the old cable out and the new one in. Once you get the old cable out, clean the tilt tube before installing the new cable. Use a good water proof grease.

Back