Logo

Steering cable is frozen

V

Vernon Baker

" Good afternoon,
It looks li

" Good afternoon,
It looks like my steering cable is rusted or frozen in position. I've got a 15 foot fish & outboard style ski boat and the steering began to drag and then just plain froze in position. I'm thinking that salt water may have gotten into the steering cylinder. The Steering cable goes through the tube and comes out the other end. I cannot pull, move or rotate the cable itself. Any ideas? The water is calling & my boat is very unhappy. "

"Vernon.... Hopefully the cabl

"Vernon.... Hopefully the cable is sticking out somewhat on the opposite end of the cable. If so, disconnect the steering arm that is secured to it (the arm that goes from the cable end to the steering arm of the engine). DO NOT grab the portion of the cable that has the hole in it as that will simply swivel. DO grab the cable just on the other side of that swivel portion with Vice Grips, Water Pump Pliers, whatever you can securely grab it with.

Have some kind of penetrating oil handy and squirt it on the cable as needed. Have somebody apply pressure at the steering wheel while you attempt to rotate that cable slightly up and down with the Vice Grips etc. If this cable has seized up recently, usually this method will break it free. However, if it's been sitting, frozen, for a good length of time, you may have to remove the retaining nut from the other side, squirting penetrating oil in there, etc etc.

NOTE... If you need to hit that end that has the hole in it, be sure to insert a bolt & nut there first, otherwise you'll flatten the hole and crack (ruin) that section.

At any rate, when/if you are able to free it, I recommend removing it completely from the steering tube, clean the tube with a large rat tail file.... and grease it all thoroughly.

The manual you inquired about in another post... there are 3rd party publishers who put out some rather good manuals which are usually available at any marine dealership. There are others here who are more knowledgeable in the manual publishing field than I am. I'm sure they will point you in the right direction to obtain the manual you seek.

Joe
"

>

I'll be taking a

>

I'll be taking a flashlight out there now & looking for the nut.

>
You are referring to the hole where the steering arm connects? Thanks again.

"Vernon.... The nut I speak of

"Vernon.... The nut I speak of is the retaining knob type nut that attaches the cable to the starboard (right) side of the engine steering tube.

And yes, I was refering to the hole that will exist when you disconnect the steering arm from the port (left) side of the steering cable.

Joe
"

" The steering tube and cable

" The steering tube and cable seem to be locked. I've loosened the nut which is positioned on the Starbord side (the driver's side) of the motor. Then I detached the nut on the port side that holds the steering cable in place. When I lightly tap the steering cable, the cable and tube assemble move together. I hope to get a few plumbers wrenches & try a little twisting later after the fireworks. "

"Put the nut back on that stee

"Put the nut back on that steering tube on the port side and tighten it! If that tube slides out of that bracket, the engine will fall!

The tube must be tight in order to grab the steering cable as I mentioned above so that you can apply up and down pressure without turning the tube.

Joe
"

" What size wrench did you use

" What size wrench did you use on that nut? I believe its metric, but don't know the size, please help I have the same problem on my 1989 Yamaha.
Thank you for any help "

Back