Logo

Stator Problem?

Psender

I have a 1996 Magnum 40 2stroke. I had it tore down and gone through by a guy at work as it did not run when i bought the boat. 3 reed valve were broken and the starter was bad. After getting it all back together it didn't start until he took the wires off the kill switch. But then it did start firing while they were on the switch, maybe a lose wire, idk. Anyway it would fire right up. I got it back and it sat for about a week while i worked on the hull. I tried to started it and it just turned over for the first few tries. The it started and ran for about 10 seconds and died. And would never start again. we did try taking the wires back off the kill switch with no change. I gave it back to him and he said the stator is bad. Reads 1199 ohms on the blues and 35 on reds, which is way off from the shop manual readings. Is that a normal way for a stator to go bad? Rubber coated but no signs of melting or anything. Im going to replace it but should i look for other causes of it going out. He said the switchblock reads ok.

Back