Logo

Stator info from Outboard Ignition.com

Bill K

Contributing Member
I sent my stator test reults to outboardignition.com and the following is what they just sent to me.

Please understand that I couldn’t give a guarantee that the stator is bad, but is does sound like it could be. The blue blue/white
wires are the high output side of the stator and its reading out of range. In that case, they suggest replacing it.

The red red/white wires are the low side and fire the motor at lower rpm, then at around 2500 to 3000 rpm and above, it switches to
the high side (blue blue/white).

Donna
If you burned up the regulator, it may have damaged the stator in the process
>(they are directly connected). That could well cause a
> weak spark if the stator output is low. You can ohms the stator according to
>our guide and see if that shows anything before just
> guessing at it.

I pretty much agree with (their) assessment with one note -

"The red red/white wires are the low side and fire the motor at lower rpm, then at around 2500 to 3000 rpm and above, it switches to
the high side (blue blue/white)."

should read -

The red red/white wires are the low side and fire the motor at lower rpm, then at around 2500 to 3000 rpm and above, "it adds" the power generated from the high side (blue blue/white) to supply the increased demand for ignition power.

A motor will run at lower rpms with toasted high speed windings but it needs those winding "in addition" to the low speed ones at higher rpms.

At 4000 rpms your low speed windings are actually putting out more voltage than the high speed ones (which augment them), they don't "switch over". Below 1000 rpms, the high speed are putting out practically nothing.

The "weak spark" you see indicates that the low speed windings are trying "unsuccessfully" to supply all the needed power and simply can't keep up...

just curious why it will not start or even try to start if the hi speed side of the stator is bad, they must be interconnected somewhere preventing me from getting that hot spark or could there be something else going bad too?

Sorry, that would be because both of us mixed up the stator wires colours -

Blue are the low speed and red are the high speed feeds.

if the blue and blue/white are the low side and they test bad, that might explain why I have a weak spark when cranking and the engine will not start,
Someone help me and explain ohm's readings here. It's a measure of resistance right? Like putting your finger on a water hose gives more pressure
higher ohms at low speed means more pressure or hotter spark
and lower ohms at hi speed lower pressure lets all the spark out
I am so confused
all i know is it won't spark

I can take a crack at explaining the theory. Voltage is the pressure in a water system analogy. Current is the water in the pipe. A small pipe (high resistance) uses all the pressure (voltage) to push a small amount of water (current). I believe in a motor you will need build enough voltage in the coil to jump the spark gap. Sound right? If the resistance goes down, some of the coils have shorted and the coil cannot build voltage to jump the gap. If the resistance goes up, I know that also causes a weak spark because I assume it is now almost an open circuit and cannot build voltage at the spark plug. Does that sound right?

Thanks and good luck,
Scott

Back