Logo

Stator and trigger ohms check results 1997 merc 40

Bill K

Contributing Member
My manual says to connect test leads as follows and I do not know if I have a 9 amp or a 16 amp stator and do not know how to tell the diff.

Blue and Blue/White should read 1000-1400 it reads .877
Red and Red/White should read 15-30 it reads 22.7
Blue and ground No reading it reads nothing
Red and Ground No reading it read nothing
Yellow and Yellow should read .10-.50 it reads .1

Then it states, if meter reads other then specified, replace stator waddaya think?

For the trigger ohms between brown and Black 700-1000 ohms it reads .852
White and Purple 700-1000 it reads .851

I've seen goofy readings similar to that on parts that worked fine. That blue/ blue-white reading sounds bad, though.

Jeff

Are you saying that you think the stator is the cause of my issue of not starting? Can they go bad, just like that?
I rebuilt the carbs, my wife and I took it for a test spin and a week later I was gonna go fishing and it would not start.
Anyway I ordered a DVR Mulitimeter and a spark tester that looks like a plug with big clip on it, I can do the DVR tests and the spark test when they get here next week.

I did come across a site that gives step by step ignition troubleshhoting guide for mercury motors and a really good description of how the ignition system works, it's called www.marinepartsman.com the only problem is you gotta be pretty savy to understand some of the tests they suggest, I wish they had a site called mercury ignition troublshooting for dummies then I could understand it.

I suggest you buy a used stator on eBay and try it. Stators DO go bad--regularly--though they usually go ALL the way bad (no spark at all). If it's not the stator, you'll have a spare (or you can resell it).

Realistically, this is how most modern electronics problems get solved: the "replace parts until you stumble onto what was wrong method". Tedious and expensive, but necessary at times.

Jeff

ebay has a hundred used stators and not one of them is the same number as mine 398-9710A33 just my luck, once I get one there will be a hundred just like mine available for just a few bucks

Back