Logo

starting procedure for 82 merc 50 hp

fisherguy123

:confused:I recently bought an 82 merc 50 with electric start . The previous owner took me for a quick spin and it runs great....however i never really watched his starting procedure and i seem to flood it everytime i start it up when it is cold. After it has started initially and ran a bit it is only a flick of the key and it starts. Here is what i have been doing: squeeze fuel ball until firm......push in electric choke and turn over until it catches but it runs breifly then dies....i add throttle and then have to keep turning it over until it starts and sometimes by then it floods. Any advise on this would be appreciated. Thanks
by the way i just joined this forum and it looks great !!!!!:)

...push in electric choke and turn over until it catches...

Try holding in the choke when cranking; two cycles like fuel when starting. I give my 115 HP 1/2 throttle when starting. When it fires I reduce the throttle to 1800-2000 RPMs. A new set of plugs can't hurt it.

thanx....I`ll try keeping the choke in next time....I have been reluctant to do so because I think I may have been flooding it in the past.....the plugs are new .

Lift throttle only lever at least halfway--------------Hold choke on while cranking. -------------When motor fires , release the choke----------if and when motor falters apply choke momentarily till it warms up.

ya I have but only after i couldn`t get it to start using the choke only....never tried a combination of the 2 at same time ....maybe thats my problem......will try next time out .....this is my first boat not tiller operated ....not used to all the comforts of electric start ,steering wheel , and throttle lever ....lol.

Back