Logo

Starting Problems

madhawk

I have a 86 Glastron Carlson C

I have a 86 Glastron Carlson CVX16 with a 86 Merc 115 Hp with a Quicksilver Throttle set. Last night when I put it in the water the battery was kinda low from a switch being left on. Then it just quit turning over. I checked the starter and it is fine. I was able to arc across the stater relay and the motor would turn over. But the key will not turn it over. I can hear the choke still work but will not turn over. Is it possible that the starter relay is still bad even if i was able to arc across it. Or would it be the key switch. Thanks in advanced.

It maybe just a blown fuse. B

It maybe just a blown fuse. Because you said you bypassed the key by arcing the starter relay.

That was one of the first thin

That was one of the first things that i tried. I replaced both that are on the motor with new 20 Amp Fuses. I did pull the Quicksilver throttle and ignition and that looked fine. I thought that maybe it was just a problem with it not being in the neutral position but it looked Ok. I put my tester on my starter solenoid and the right side was hot but i got no joy on the left side when i turned the key. So I am thinking that it must be the starter solenoid.

"Are you getting power to the

"Are you getting power to the small wire on the solenoid when you turn the key? If yours has 2 small wires, one goes to ground and the other comes from the ignition switch. If you are getting power when you turn the key to start, then the solenoid is bad."

Back